Commit to Slapping -- Still Work Righty Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Fairly basic question. I have a girl at 12U that has been slap-footwork-bunting (only) from left side since last season, last night with a lot of work she had an "aha" moment on slapping. Up to now (I didn't coach her in the past) she'd flip flop back to righty on two strikes. But I think she'll now feel comfortable committing to slapping full time -- she's got a lot of potential, speed, etc., I'm thrilled.

But...what do we do with her righty swing? Do we keep working it? It's actually pretty good. If she keeps working, what do we do -- just have her work mechanics, tees, tosses, practice live pitch, etc? Will she really be able to develop and maintain her righty swing without game conditions?

Or do you just stop working her righty?

I'm going to bet the answer is do both -- like a pitcher, she just has to put in twice the time as everyone else.

But wondering if anyone has suggestions/advice based on experience...

Tks.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
In softball, there's not really any benefit to batting from both sides. If she's that quick, I would only bat her left and develop her swing from the left side. It varies by girl, but most regain their power within a year. If you have her swing from the right and slap from the left, it's a dead give away to the defense. If she only bats left and can develop her swing, she has a lot of options and the defense has to play her neutral. She may only be able to bunt or slap for a little while, but it's well worth the time and effort.

My daughter made the switch at 11 and is now 13. She's a line drive hitter that can get the extra base hit, but she's also a threat to bunt, drag, slap or power slap. She bats lead off and teams that haven't seen her before will play her in (She's 5 foot 93 lbs at 1st yr 14) and she'll drive one up the middle. If they've seen her before, they typically play her neutral, which gives her a lot of options.

Sep 3, 2009
My dd started with slapping lessons and her instructor said the same as the last few did, move to the left and stay. She stressed they need to learn to do it all on the left and stay there.

May 12, 2008
Amen to all these points. Any AB on the right side is that much longer before she is comfortable on the left side.

Sep 17, 2009
Thank for the input...so there's probably something here I missed in my thinking. Not only develop her slapping from the left, but a "full" swing as well, right? not just a power slap but also traditional swing..that's interesting....

I guess bye-bye, righty, right?

Tks.

Oct 18, 2009
MY DD at 10 just started the switch to lefty. She has committed to do it all from the left. I originally thought she would practice both until she was proficient at lefty, but I'm seeing how difficult that will be. Especially because I know once she is capable at lefty there will be no reason to hit righty anymore. Every second you work righty is less time developing lefty. She was a very good righty hitter, but I am beginning to see working both righty and lefty is only slowing down her progress to be a good lefty hitter.

Everyone I speak with on this topic has the same advice. Go lefty and stay there.

Sep 3, 2009
Thank for the input...so there's probably something here I missed in my thinking. Not only develop her slapping from the left, but a "full" swing as well, right? not just a power slap but also traditional swing..that's interesting....

Tks.

I am certainly NOT a hitting expert. But from what my dd's slapping instructor, and other hitting instructors have said, move and stay. My dd's slapping instructor was pretty up front about it at her first lesson. Her point was why only learn to slap from the left? Learn it all, or don't bother. My dd still has problems with her swing on the left, but the slapping and bunting are progressing well. In fact, I'd say she was never a "good" bunter on the right, but is getting really good with it on the left. Her instructor says to be patient, it could well take 6 mos to a year or so before she surpasses where she was on the right.

May 12, 2008

Tks.

Being able to play the short game or split the outfielders on the run is enough. Have to be able to keep the defense honest or you have to be crazy fast. Adding a full swing on the left side with otf power eventually would be even better.