Comments on this drill, please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
lhowser, I like your video. There are a lot of instructors that teach like that where I am. I give my parents a brief introduction into pitching mechanics/instructors and what the best of the best are doing, so they can be educated in what to look for if they ever decide to move on to another PC. Last year I had one of mine move on to another PC and she now runs forward 3 steps after delivering the pitch. So I KNOW the dad knows this is not what the top pitchers do, so I figure maybe he thinks he's found a new style and she'll be only one doing it in college...?

As far as the first video, I see that drill reinforcing the figure 4 kick.
I use a similar drill for girls that don't want to pick up their foot, but it's just a towel, they stride over the towel and that allows them to drag the towel with them with their back foot.

Jul 26, 2010
Every single one of those kids in the first video were starting with their foot sideways and leaping. I can't imagine reinforcing those mechanics is good for anyone. I've nothing against the figure 4 finish, I think it's a better finish then laces forward for pitchers that have traditional hourglass figures or large hips.

-W

Mar 26, 2013
DEE DEE Weimen

In the video this is Dee Dee Weimen, assitant coach at Cal-State. She graduated and pitched for UCLA '94. She was on their national championship teams '90 and '92. She was also nominated for the Honda Award. Which, in the 90s was TOP honor. She was an All-American as well. "Hellow Elbow" as most of you call it, does work for some and can get you to the top level of play. I know there is not much video of Lisa Fernandez, but this is how she pitched as well. I am not saying one way is right or wrong, but certain techniques work for certain people and should not be shunned. Dee Dee was a very respected pitcher and I would take my kids to her in a heart beat. Check out Stacey Nelson's pitching video on youtube. She pitches the same way. She pitched for Florida in a College World Series and for Team USA.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Stacey Nelson's video is one I specifically warn folks to avoid. Both Candrea and Enquist are quick to tell folks that not everything they taught with complete confidence back in the day is what they teach today. My hope is that Coach Weiman learns and grows as all the greats do.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Why should we teach techniques that great athletes used prior to better knowledge, just because they were successful?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I found an old video series from Coach Enquist at our local library. I think they are examples of when she talks about growing and changing.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207