Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah you don't want to be in the hole for 250K in loans when you get out for sure. I had about 20K (my wife had about the same amount) in loans when I graduated which, at the time (graduated in 97) , was about 10K less than a year's tuition at Tufts..lol.
Did you take out a "Jumbo Loan?"

May 23, 2015
Related but diverging a bit.

Could the D1 recruiting rule change have impacted the number of freshman we saw hit the portal this year? Are d2 and d3 young players moving around as much?

Compressed window of time for student athlete AND coach to make decisions leading to early portal entrance?

I have no data to to back this up or not. Just pondering.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Related but diverging a bit.

Could the D1 recruiting rule change have impacted the number of freshman we saw hit the portal this year? Are d2 and d3 young players moving around as much?

Compressed window of time for student athlete AND coach to make decisions leading to early portal entrance?

I have no data to to back this up or not. Just pondering.
Not only the D1 recruiting rule change impacted the situation but the extended fifth-year senior situation certainly impacted the situation.

Hearing of D1 players who left D1 programs to go into D3 and D2 schools cannot be certain if that is reflection of what has happened in D1 but it is interesting that players who could play at the D1 level decided to drop out of D1 to go to College at a lower level of competition.

Whatever the individuals reasoning for shuffling the NCAA has created their own tornado.
Perhaps a perfect storm of why circulating athletes is more commonplace now.
~ stopped early recruitment and back to back changed / extended eligibility for those already in college.
~ made D3, D2 more attractive.

Dec 11, 2010
This is why I keep commenting about getting SAT and ACT scores early on they set a benchmark that the college coaches can use to reflect on. Along with academic profile GPA and such.
Absolutely right. Do this if college softball is possible in the students future.
Based on what I see in the D1 landscape, and the stories that are emerging I don't think she would be playing today.
Correct. D1 is a complete sh!tshow right now.
Test early, test often, spread that net wide, be realistic about skill set and academics, consult others who are years ahead of you in the process, have your financials in line, and be patient.
Again, read this and do it if college softball possibly is in a students future. Test, improve, test again.

Dec 11, 2010
Not only the D1 recruiting rule change impacted the situation but the extended fifth-year senior situation certainly impacted the situation.

Hearing of D1 players who left D1 programs to go into D3 and D2 schools cannot be certain if that is reflection of what has happened in D1 but it is interesting that players who could play at the D1 level decided to drop out of D1 to go to College at a lower level of competition.

Whatever the individuals reasoning for shuffling the NCAA has created their own tornado.
~ stopped early recruitment and back to back changed / extended eligibility for those already in college.
All true. A tornado indeed. Like the tornado of fire caused by a giant wildfire.

Fifth year players. Juniors playing for their third school. (DD’s hs classmate, grad year 2016 IS STILL PLAYING.) We don’t even know yet what the effects of NLI are. Added to all the goofiness the caused by the Super Duper Top Player foolishness. I don’t think I can understate how much cats like our old pal Justin have screwed up college softball and people don’t realize it.

Its a mess.

May 23, 2015

Throw in the limited/remote recruiting during covid that occured for the 2021/22 class for good measure. What a mess.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What year did the transfer portal open?
Any #'s how many players entered in the beginning years vs. How many currently are utilizing it?

Dec 11, 2010
Throw in the limited/remote recruiting during covid that occured for the 2021/22 class for good measure. What a mess.
The recruiting process was fairly shaky before Covid.

The evaluation of talent is something coaches at all levels struggle with.

Add in the complication of sifting for talented players that can stay eligible and stay out of trouble and it’s no easy task.

Jun 8, 2016
I doubt ending early recruiting has caused all of the ailments mentioned in this thread because in reality the kids who were going to be officially recruited early before are still being recruited just not officially anymore...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06