College Success Stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Well, there have been some depressing threads on college recruiting the last few days - and they are important because all of them highlight the many, many pitfalls and issues and parent-blindness etc that happens way too often.

But we should also celebrate the stories of ways it goes right. These are some of the best of outstanding people that I am proud to have met since my DD started playing.

- I know at least 8 girls who graduated on time with Ivy degrees; 5 of which I suspect wouldn't have got into their school without softball. I know 5 more going next year and there is 6 there right now.
- 5 girls who are now doctors. A bunch in med school
- Engineering degrees. Science degrees. MBAs. 2 lawyers. Lots of computer science grads.
- An author. A broadway actor. One doing costume design for movies.
- 2 girls who will play in the Olympics, several who have played professionally
- I cannot count the number of girls who likely would not have gone to college that went to college and graduated and have great jobs
- 8 who are coaching college softball right now; many who coach travel or HS
- Players who are now in the various service colleges - some that have graduated and moved on to serve their country.

When it goes right, it normally seems to go REALLY right. Their softball achievements are every bit as impressive and softball did really well for them in kickstarting their education and careers. However, in the end. it is seeing these wonderful people mature and become incredible people that was awesome. And the schools these kids attending - it didn't matter whether the softball was NAIA, JUCO or NCAA - when it was the right situation, it was the right situation.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2015
Just curious where the computer science majors graduated since I was hard-pressed to find computer science majors on DI rosters when I looked last year for my daughter who aspires to play DI ball and get her computer science degree.

Well, there have been some depressing threads on college recruiting the last few days - and they are important because all of them highlight the many, many pitfalls and issues and parent-blindness etc that happens way too often.

But we should also celebrate the stories of ways it goes right. These are some of the best of outstanding people that I am proud to have met since my DD started playing.

- I know at least 8 girls who graduated on time with Ivy degrees; 5 of which I suspect wouldn't have got into their school without softball. I know 5 more going next year and there is 6 there right now.
- Engineering degrees. Science degrees. MBAs. 2 lawyers. Lots of computer science grads.
- I cannot count the number of girls who likely would not have gone to college that went to college and graduated and have great jobs
- Players who are now in the various service colleges - some that have graduated and moved on to serve their country.

When it goes right, it normally seems to go REALLY right. Their softball achievements are every bit as impressive and softball did really well for them in kickstarting their education and careers. However, in the end. it is seeing these wonderful people mature and become incredible people it awesome. And the schools these kids attending - it didn't matter whether the softball was NAIA, JUCO or NCAA - when it was the right situation, it was the right situation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just curious where the computer science majors graduated since I was hard-pressed to find computer science majors on DI rosters when I looked last year for my daughter who aspires to play DI ball and get her computer science degree.
For D1 girls I know: Most of the Ivies or Patriot League schools & Stanford. I am sure there are others.

Jan 8, 2019

When it goes right, it normally seems to go REALLY right. Their softball achievements are every bit as impressive and softball did really well for them in kickstarting their education and careers. However, in the end. it is seeing these wonderful people mature and become incredible people that was awesome. And the schools these kids attending - it didn't matter whether the softball was NAIA, JUCO or NCAA - when it was the right situation, it was the right situation.
Dang! We need to get into your social circle!!

Jan 8, 2019
Need this program to turn around so Marcela can go there.................................................................................................................................as team manager :LOL:
Sign her up for the crewing team? Might cost you upward of $500k, though!

Dec 11, 2010
Success story: Player that played with older dd is at a D2 program. She studies nursing. Her schooling is going to be very inexpensive, she loves the coaches. Parent has had numerous very pleasant conversations with coaches and it is obvious to him that the coaches really care about the players. I'm told they sometimes have lunches in between double header games that players can eat with parents, coaches attend and it's quite enjoyable.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry, sailing:

Coaches at two other Pac-12 programs, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, also allegedly accepted bribes""

Free tuition if she can get in!! ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying