College Success Stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2020
You play college ball for 4 years but use your degree for 40. DD has enjoyed her college run, but understands this was her first “real job” where she was being paid (in tuition money, no NCAA violations) to perform. I will enjoy watching her this last year, but I am much more excited about her future adulting prospects.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
After reading the other thread about high-level travel ball and playing in college, I was about to head down to the rope store, which is conveniently located next to the rickety stool store. (Apologies to Norm MacDonald for stealing this joke). Thanks for starting this more uplifting one. In all seriousness, though, I do appreciate everyone's willingness to share their stories--the good, the bad, and the ugly--which is an education for us going through it and a way to prepare for what may be ahead.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Thanks for sharing yours and other people's success stories. Sometimes it seems that we spend too much time discussing the negative aspects of the game.

I don't know many older girls that have already completed their softball career. My daughter's old pitching coach earned her nursing degree from a local NAIA school. She is now a nurse at one of the local hospitals. She said she had a full ride, 50% athletic, and 50% academic. She did have to go back for one extra semester to complete her nursing degree due to clinical class interfering with softball. From my understanding that is the only semester, she had to pay for out of pocket. That seems like a really good deal to me financially.

One of the assistant coaches for my daughter's team is currently attending Northwestern University.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Forgive me if I get too long. Of HS players I have coached more than a few went on to set records at their various schools. I have one who will graduate this year and the top hitter in school history. I had one who graduated as the top home run hitter and in top 3 in batting average, rbis, doubles, ... and then set the standard for that school's catching position. I have had several from the TB team I coached which included a young lady who also set her school's record for home runs, rbis, ... She played several positions and so, it the epitome of why a player should learn more than one position in TB.

Then, you have by dd's career. It was pretty good. Her 2015 team will be inducted into her school's Hall of Fame in February.

I would say that the young ladies listed above in the first paragraph all decided to be teachers and they are all coaching at the high school level. That is a bunch of young ladies that are now giving back. My daughter is also teaching. She is coaching both middle school and high school. She loves her job and is off and running now in her life.

If I could the most positive thing most of us will glean from our dds careers is how close we get to our dds. I know I am very close to BB. I know so many of you are with and that is worth every bit of any negatives of this great sport!

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Most of the young ladies that I coached are still in college, so the final chapters of their success stories are still being written. That said, the greatest college success stories are those that include 1) go to college, 2) graduate, and 3) continue to play the game you love. Frankly, I get more pleasure and satisfaction out of seeing what these ladies do in the classroom than on the field. Hearing about the honors program student who was selected to participate in an exclusive intern experience in Europe, or the bio/neuroscience major who was invited to present her research at an upcoming international scientific conference, those are the college success stories that resonate with me. That these young women are able to accomplish that while balancing the demands of a college varsity sport is icing on the cake.

Feb 17, 2014
After reading the other thread about high-level travel ball and playing in college, I was about to head down to the rope store, which is conveniently located next to the rickety stool store. (Apologies to Norm MacDonald for stealing this joke). Thanks for starting this more uplifting one. In all seriousness, though, I do appreciate everyone's willingness to share their stories--the good, the bad, and the ugly--which is an education for us going through it and a way to prepare for what may be ahead.

You posted in another thread that your DD's team is playing above average 14u B.

My DD is on a team of 2021s and 2022s. Last year, 2nd year 14u, we added a player from a 14u B team. She was the first to commit this September. We added another player from a different B team this year and she is sitting on offers from several schools all over the spectrum. Mid-major D1 all the way down to NAIA teams that make the WS every year.

You don't have to play on <insert high level org name here> to get to the best place for you.

Jun 7, 2016
I gotta be the last person in the world to not have seen a tik tok video. Not sure what their purpose is. But then again, I wake up creaky each day!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When it goes right, it normally seems to go REALLY right. Their softball achievements are every bit as impressive and softball did really well for them in kickstarting their education and careers. However, in the end. it is seeing these wonderful people mature and become incredible people that was awesome. And the schools these kids attending - it didn't matter whether the softball was NAIA, JUCO or NCAA - when it was the right situation, it was the right situation.

I agree completely. My DD#1 had a blast playing softball. The problem was *me*...I did not ask enough questions about her education. Had I done that, it would have been a much better experience.

My DD#1 graduated a year leate. Her collegiate sports experience definitely helped her career. She now has a masters degree. I'm hopeful she'll get a PhD.

DD#3 handled the college sports experience differently. She planned out a path. I spent time making sure she was on track--it really wasn't that much effort on my part. Basically, I took an interest in her school and had her "report" on her progress. She graduated on time, and has a great career going for her as well.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Well, there have been some depressing threads on college recruiting the last few days - and they are important because all of them highlight the many, many pitfalls and issues and parent-blindness etc that happens way too often.
Sorry marriard, hate I was the Debbie Downer that inspired this post! I thought long and hard before posting that the other day!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802