College softball strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My dd's experience has been just the opposite when hitting. I wish I knew how to get some photos off of my phone and I'd post a picture of two where she has strikes called on her that are in the middle of the opposite batter's box. Oh, I know most of you will think I am exaggerating but I'm not.

Are there differences between D1 and D2 strike zones?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have noticed a recent decline in quality pitchers and there are very few dominant pitchers. Without question the strike zone has gotten smaller on the North side and you can argue the bats are hotter, etc. However, neither causes a pitcher to throw fatties down the middle. When you look at which pitches are getting jacked, quite often they are meatballs. The top end of the strike zone is of no consequence when you cannot keep the ball low and off the plate.

Doesn't the smaller zone also reduce the pitcher's margin of error?

For example, let's say the umpire is calling the river as a strike. The pitcher goes for the river but misses by 3 inches. Now she has the outside corner. Missed her spot, but may not get hurt there.

Now let's say the umpire is not calling the river a strike. Now she is going for whatever the outside of the umpires strike zone is. Now if she misses by 3 inches, where is the pitch? Meatball...

Feb 7, 2013
A few D1 stats for you:

In 2001, 29 pitchers had ERA of less than 1.00. In 2015, 5 pitchers are below 1.00.

In 2001, UCLA led the nation with .340 Team Batting Average. In 2015, they would not even be in the Top 10.

No doubt in my mind that smaller strike zone, bat technology, and better conditioned batters have contributed to the huge increase in run production from 15 years ago. Maybe the pitching has been watered down a little with more teams but there is a lot more going on than poor pitching.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Doesn't the smaller zone also reduce the pitcher's margin of error?

For example, let's say the umpire is calling the river as a strike. The pitcher goes for the river but misses by 3 inches. Now she has the outside corner. Missed her spot, but may not get hurt there.

Now let's say the umpire is not calling the river a strike. Now she is going for whatever the outside of the umpires strike zone is. Now if she misses by 3 inches, where is the pitch? Meatball...

From what I have seen and heard there is considerable East/West latitude. Most carp about the top of the zone, yet many pitchers seem unable or unwilling to work the lower and outside edges of the zone. When I look at the awesome GIF's posted by knightsb it appears that many of the hard hit balls at the thigh and above. When I watch the best teams in the country either live or on TV I can usually count on 1 hand the number of hard hit balls that were not "mistakes". And I am seeing lots of mistakes. :)

Dec 7, 2011
I would submit that, to me, the strike zone, which was grapefruit sized at the beginning of the season, has opened up noticeably on the top-half (lending to some reappearing riseball strikes!)

Note though that I am only watching Big10 and SEC.

Jun 7, 2013
From what I have seen and heard there is considerable East/West latitude. Most carp about the top of the zone, yet many pitchers seem unable or unwilling to work the lower and outside edges of the zone. When I look at the awesome GIF's posted by knightsb it appears that many of the hard hit balls at the thigh and above. When I watch the best teams in the country either live or on TV I can usually count on 1 hand the number of hard hit balls that were not "mistakes". And I am seeing lots of mistakes. :)

I remember an extensive study that I saw a few years ago that about 80% of the hits in softball are from pitches at the top of the thigh and above. Knowing this I've communicated this pitching philosophy to my DDs, "Live low, but throw high!"

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I remember an extensive study that I saw a few years ago that about 80% of the hits in softball are from pitches at the top of the thigh and above. Knowing this I've communicated this pitching philosophy to my DDs, "Live low, but throw high!"

I want to read it. Was the sample of the study limited to college ball? DI and DII maybe? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I watched the Tennessee-Alabama game last night and couldn't believe how tiny the strike zone was. A total of 11 walks in the game. Both pitchers and catchers were visibly unhappy with several of the calls.

Apr 11, 2012
I don't know....the games I've seen the umpires are just making the pitchers get some of the white part of the plate (east and west) and that seems to be the difference....and thank god....those 4' wide strike zones don't add anything to the game at all....now the north south portions to ump's zone vary....a lot, which is fine. But there's nothing wrong with some offense....the days of 15+ inning 0-0 pitcher duels are seemingly over and now softball seems more popular than ever.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC