College softball strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
I can not believe the size of the strike zone in college ball. It is the size of a shoebox. The amount of walks or high counts is crazy. Hitters are now just waiting for the pitch that has to be thrown middle and then kaboom. Watching some of the best pitchers in the country struggling with this strike zone.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I watched Lehigh v Villanova yesterday and the ump seemed to be giving the river. Not much above the waist nor below the knees but enough for Lehigh's pitcher to hold them to 1 run on 2 hits.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I haven't formed an opinion on this, but for reference:

In SEC softball, players walk once every 8.6 plate appearances.
In SEC baseball, players walk once every 10.1 plate appearances.
In MLB, players walk once every 13.1 plate appearances.

That doesn't mean the strike zone is being called differently, though. Just numbers for perspective on the frequency of walks.

Throwing the ball over the plate is more dangerous in softball (at least at the highest levels, like the SEC) because of the high frequency of home runs being hit. So that could be a bigger reason for the high number of walks. It's too risky to challenge hitters.

Jun 7, 2013
I haven't formed an opinion on this, but for reference:

In SEC softball, players walk once every 8.6 plate appearances.
In SEC baseball, players walk once every 10.1 plate appearances.
In MLB, players walk once every 13.1 plate appearances.

That doesn't mean the strike zone is being called differently, though. Just numbers for perspective on the frequency of walks.

Throwing the ball over the plate is more dangerous in softball (at least at the highest levels, like the SEC) because of the high frequency of home runs being hit. So that could be a bigger reason for the high number of walks. It's too risky to challenge hitters.

To my DDs who are both pitchers, I tell them never give in to a good hitter. A walk to a good hitter is probably going to hurt their team less than putting a pitch down the middle.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I watched Lehigh v Villanova yesterday and the ump seemed to be giving the river. Not much above the waist nor below the knees but enough for Lehigh's pitcher to hold them to 1 run on 2 hits.

Watched an America East conference game this past weekend,
and saw very similar.

not one strike given above the belt, or below knees;
but pretty generous east-west...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I can not believe the size of the strike zone in college ball. It is the size of a shoebox. The amount of walks or high counts is crazy. Hitters are now just waiting for the pitch that has to be thrown middle and then kaboom. Watching some of the best pitchers in the country struggling with this strike zone.

My dd's experience has been just the opposite when hitting. I wish I knew how to get some photos off of my phone and I'd post a picture of two where she has strikes called on her that are in the middle of the opposite batter's box. Oh, I know most of you will think I am exaggerating but I'm not.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have noticed a recent decline in quality pitchers and there are very few dominant pitchers. Without question the strike zone has gotten smaller on the North side and you can argue the bats are hotter, etc. However, neither causes a pitcher to throw fatties down the middle. When you look at which pitches are getting jacked, quite often they are meatballs. The top end of the strike zone is of no consequence when you cannot keep the ball low and off the plate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA