college scouts; what do they take more stock in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Of course, it depends on what college you are looking at. Are you interested in DePaul or Eastern IL Univ.? They are 2 different D1 programs. Or is your DD interested in a private D3 program.

There are many, many softball teams that are really good and they aren't D1s. Those schools are more likely to be interested in "what you did in HS."

I coached at Springfield College in IL. I didn't have a large budget. The HS coaches were my life line.

There are community college teams in central IL., that girls are vying to find a spot on.
I read this weekend, where the one in Mattoon, has already signed 17 athletes and are wanting 2 more girls. I think HS softball is very important to that coach.

Amy, very nice post. As I've tried to point out on a couple of different websites, in our area (Mid Illinois) high school ball is so much different than in other parts of the country. I hear all the time about this or that girl not playing high school ball so that they can play on their travel team. In our area, that just doesn't happen. Naturally, when I say "our area" I know your roots! BTW, for those that don't know, Amy is from an area known for playing some SERIOUS softball.

I was the main recuiter and pitching coach at a very good D2 program out of San Diego, CA. We seldom went to "a" high school game. But we did go to the CIF finals. If we had a local girl who was very interested in our program we would go to a game if our playing schedule allowed.

But where we focused on was travel ball because we know that most high school teams may have 3 to 4 players college level quality. But those who spend the time to play on travel teams and travel throughout the nation to either be seen by college coaches or obtain a national berth or nationals show the necessary desire to achieve high level of talent to compete at the college level.

But one thing to remember is unless you play on one of the elite gold programs most college coaches have no clue who your dd is so they MUST contact the colleges they want to go to so the coaches will show up and look at your dd. Expecting college coaches to randomly show up is not realistic. Another things is recruiting is a hard nose business so have your ducks in a rowe when dealing with the college coaches so things go smooth.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207