College players still 18 U eligible - what is the rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
18u

We had a girl on our team that had just finished with her D3 team until her birthday in August.

Mar 26, 2013
ASA does not allow college players in 18-Gold. They can play 18-A and 18-B.

PGF does not allow college players.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA does not allow college players in 18-Gold. They can play 18-A and 18-B.

PGF does not allow college players.

For ASA this is a recent change. It used to be "Gold" was the only JO program that allowed college players. Now it is just the opposite.

Here is the code:

d. Junior Olympic Classification. Once a player participates in an intercollegiate softball program for a university, college, or junior/community college, she is ineligible to play in the Junior Olympic Gold program.
CLARIFICATION: A redshirted player is considered to be a participant in an intercollegiate softball program

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't believe they can play ASA B either. If I'm not mistaken they can only play ASA A. It is that way in NSA too. They can play A but not B.

I think A or B is ok with USSSA.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I don't believe they can play ASA B either. If I'm not mistaken they can only play ASA A. It is that way in NSA too. They can play A but not B.

I think A or B is ok with USSSA.

SoCal_Dad is correct. ASA allows age eligible college players to participate in either 18A or 18B, but not 18GOLD.

There were some proposals to make some changes to these codes at the last ASA Council Meeting in November 2013, but they were either withdrawn or defeated.

Mar 26, 2013
I don't believe they can play ASA B either. If I'm not mistaken they can only play ASA A. ...
You are probably just out of date. ASA barred college players from Class B and Gold effective 2010. They've allowed college players back in Class B since 2012.

You evidently missed the applicable reg that MTR posted. Here is the 2012 change and comment.

2012 ASA Code Changes with Comments

Article 501 D 02 d Delete the words: or Class B Program

Comments: Allows college players to play in the JO Class B Program

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA