"College coaches often harm players hitting trying to get them to swing a particular way."

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Mehhhh
Think this is directed at coaches changing players swing. Its not something done everywhere...so....

Every college coach tries to help the kids get better. And that means change.

And, most of the kids...I don't care what level of TB they play...are not ready for college ball. Most of them have never seen a pitcher with real movement and great control. (Again @riseball 's story about his DD practicing control is classic. She was throwing at a knotted rope and hitting it every time. "Great job!" he said. She said, "No, not really...I'm trying to make it kick to the left.")

So, kids playing in college have to become better--better hitters, better fielders, and better pitchers. Getting better means changing.

Again, there are stupid coaches out there...parents, TB, HS college & instructors. I'm sure there are idiots out there saying "squash the bug" and "hit down on the ball."

The whole helicopter parent thing is OOC in HS and TB.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Every college coach tries to help the kids get better. And that means change.

And, most of the kids...I don't care what level of TB they play...are not ready for college ball. Most of them have never seen a pitcher with real movement and great control. (Again @riseball 's story about his DD practicing control is classic. She was throwing at a knotted rope and hitting it every time. "Great job!" he said. She said, "No, not really...I'm trying to make it kick to the left.")

So, kids playing in college have to become better--better hitters, better fielders, and better pitchers. Getting better means changing.

Again, there are stupid coaches out there...parents, TB, HS college & instructors. I'm sure there are idiots out there saying "squash the bug" and "hit down on the ball."

The whole helicopter parent thing is OOC in HS and TB.
There is a difference between slight adjustments...and an overhall to completely new mechanics.

Everyone should be working on improving! Yes.
Doesnt mean everyone takes on new mechanics.

As far as helicopter parents different topic.
But will add to that
There are helicopter coaches also!
Who will overly henpeck certain batters. Regardless of hitting averages or success.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Maybe it's too hard to think that there may be different hitting models such as:
  1. No Stride
  2. Stride to toe down
  3. Foot floater
  4. Toe Tapper
  5. Sandwich hitter
  6. Back foot
  7. Bat Wave
  8. Rocker Model
  9. Turn on it
  10. o_O

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe it's too hard to think that there may be different hitting models such as:
  1. No Stride
  2. Stride to toe down
  3. Foot floater
  4. Toe Tapper
  5. Sandwich hitter
  6. Back foot
  7. Bat Wave
  8. Rocker Model
  9. Turn on it
  10. o_O
Sandwich hitter?! 💁
Is that when your sandwich is cruddy so you throw it in the air and crack it with your bat?!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Sandwich hitter?! 💁
Is that when your sandwich is cruddy so you throw it in the air and crack it with your bat?!
  1. No Stride
  2. Stride to toe down
  3. Foot floater
  4. Toe Tapper
  5. Sandwich hitter
  6. Back foot
  7. Bat Wave
  8. Rocker Model
  9. Turn on it
  10. o_O
Sandwich hitter?! 💁
We think alike LOL. Googled sandwich hitter and came up with the picture.

The instructor that references the models does amaze me in that he doesn't throw every hitter into the same 'to go' package. Appears to work on improving what they do already rather than 'my way or the highway'.

Best sandwich hitter.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
I thought maybe you were going to tell us she was initially a RH pitcher and Gasso made her throw LH...
Nope they didnt like her motion because it wasn't the one her coach preferred. Drove her somewhere else. I think she's lost another one as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I discovered years ago that 'arm bar' is not a 'problem'. The problem only arises when the hands are behind the back elbow (see below).

hitting-websites-baseballswingmechanics-armbar.jpg

I discovered years ago that 'arm bar' is not a 'problem'. The problem only arises when the hands are behind the back elbow (see below).

hitting-websites-baseballswingmechanics-armbar.jpg

Sorry, not buying that 1%. A barred front arm creates hand path problems inside forcing the hands even further from the body. When the elbow is at "slot" on a pitch at the waist, the only way to overcome that elbow position is to cheat, getting the hands through earlier, esp. with speed. It causes the hitter to wrap around pitches pulling then foul. It causes early release out of lag with premature elongated wrist-snap reducing bat-head speed. You are advocating an "arm swing".

Elbows in front is bat drag, reducing swing speed, wrist-snap, and a dropped bat-head. Antonelli below. And yes I believe 95% in him except his exaggerations about coaches teaching "pushing the hands" across the body and "getting on the bicycle in the OF crow-hop". I don't know of any coaches that promote that. The game is a game of physics. Those who stick to physical laws execute better by nature! Those who try to reinvent gravity generally fail. 3 ANTONELLI VIDEOS.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Nope they didnt like her motion because it wasn't the one her coach preferred. Drove her somewhere else. I think she's lost another one as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Interesting. They can afford to drive kids away here I guess...always another 2 or 3 studs waiting to join.

Jul 27, 2015
I am totally with you. You have to ask when you get the opportunity. This site has been so helpful to us in our recruiting process to know to ask those questions.

My daughter is a pitcher. We were on campus for a recruiting visit and watched a practice. The pitching coach was having them do all sorts of HE drills which goes against everything my daughter has been taught. My daughter asked if that was required for all her pitchers. It was, and it was not just for drills That was the pitching method for the school. My daughter's interest level went to about 0.

My interest level went to 0 about two hours earlier when my daughter asked the head coach the graduation rate for the team and the coached answered "I want to win". I was in shock the coach did not even pretend to care about the school side of things.

They actually ended up offering what turned out be my daughter's best offer money wise, but it was not a good fit softball wise. She ended up taking a lesser offer in what seems like the perfect fit school and coach wise.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I am totally with you. You have to ask when you get the opportunity. This site has been so helpful to us in our recruiting process to know to ask those questions.

My daughter is a pitcher. We were on campus for a recruiting visit and watched a practice. The pitching coach was having them do all sorts of HE drills which goes against everything my daughter has been taught. My daughter asked if that was required for all her pitchers. It was, and it was not just for drills That was the pitching method for the school. My daughter's interest level went to about 0.

My interest level went to 0 about two hours earlier when my daughter asked the head coach the graduation rate for the team and the coached answered "I want to win". I was in shock the coach did not even pretend to care about the school side of things.

They actually ended up offering what turned out be my daughter's best offer money wise, but it was not a good fit softball wise. She ended up taking a lesser offer in what seems like the perfect fit school and coach wise.

HE, is that high elbow follow-through?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1