"College coaches often harm players hitting trying to get them to swing a particular way."

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
DD went through three different coaching staffs in college and three different pitching styles. The first changed her from a riseball pitcher to drop mid season. That was a fricken disaster and not surprisingly the staff was fired at the end of the season. Second and third coaches had changes for her, but focused more on tweaking mechanics And working with what she was good at.

There was quite a bit of frustration having to change every year, but in the coaches defense, their jobs are on the line. They’re not going to have a bunch of freshman come in thinking they know best. Hopefully they’re smart about it, but if the player wants to see the field they might need to adapt.

Jul 2, 2013
DW still has a meme on the side of the fridge that says "If you would stop telling players to hit down on the ball......That would be great."

Went to a Big 10 school camp one yerar and the coach preached chopping down on the ball. DD2 was lost trying to do that. A few Dads at the Camp walked by DW and said don't change your DD's swing.

Didn't Lotief make that famous at ULL?

Feb 15, 2017
DD went through three different coaching staffs in college and three different pitching styles. The first changed her from a riseball pitcher to drop mid season. That was a fricken disaster and not surprisingly the staff was fired at the end of the season. Second and third coaches had changes for her, but focused more on tweaking mechanics And working with what she was good at.

There was quite a bit of frustration having to change every year, but in the coaches defense, their jobs are on the line. They’re not going to have a bunch of freshman come in thinking they know best. Hopefully they’re smart about it, but if the player wants to see the field they might need to adapt.
I know of at least one pitcher that was coached out of throwing 69 MPH bu Patty Gasso's pitching staff down to 63 MPH because she didn't have her preferred motion

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't know why more moms and dads don't ask more pointed questions. If your DD was or is good enough to be recruited then ask away. These coaches are not gods. Don't understand why college coaches do not understand that a player successfully hitting or especially pitching a certain way, for let's say 10 years, is probably better off staying the course rather than any major changes. I see a girl at 14u with a bad throwing motion and I think, she is done. We are not changing it. You can tweak it but not overhaul it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Or a completely clueless college coach who’s always had a solid hitting coach, and now she don’t! She doesn’t speak the hitting language, and has no idea how to fix problems, sad!!

Ever met a college coach who talks an incredibly great game at showcases only to find out she‘s a bipolar lunatic who should’t be allowed to coach a MS team!

Wish she had the slightest clue about hitting.......or situational coaching for that matter!

But she’s the one who has the people that matters fooled, my opinion on the obvious means absolutely nothing!

Pretty sad when a college coach doesn’t crack the top 5 of previous TB coaches!

No.......I’m not ill.

Jun 16, 2010
I met a few college coaches when DD was recruiting. Learned a lot about a lot more.

A D3 coach hired straight from HS.....knew very little about teaching softball......but challenged for d3 national title.... Because he received overflow players from an area that was very strong in softball. Produced a lot of d1 players...more than local D1 team slots .... And he had a good academic School. He simply got better players than he deserved.

Another coach that got my daughter's travel coach to go with him to evaluate pitchers because he didn't know anything about them

A college coach once remarked he started coaching college..... Because he couldn't win locally in travel ball.
And he wasn't kidding. This coach made several wcws appearances.

DD travel team went to a camp once....coach of a poor D1 school sent invitation to every player on our team to play for him......... And possibly most every other girl at that camp as well......shotgun approach.....

I think most coaches are put on too high a pedestal. Some earned it.....but on any day, or year....remember half...have losing records. Current season and lifetime

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12