"College coaches often harm players hitting trying to get them to swing a particular way."

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
By the way he was the kid that was picked last at the 8U rec. league because he didn't have a glove at the tryout and was hitting right handed. The second practice he asked if he could hit left handed and crushed. They asked, why he was batting right handed. Because mom told me not to hurt anyone. True!
Love this!! Growing up not every one of my friends had gloves so we would share.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't know why more moms and dads don't ask more pointed questions.

If your DD was or is good enough to be recruited then ask away. These coaches are not gods. Don't understand why college coaches do not understand that a player successfully hitting or especially pitching a certain way, for let's say 10 years, is probably better off staying the course rather than any major changes. I see a girl at 14u with a bad throwing motion and I think, she is done. We are not changing it. You can tweak it but not overhaul it.
ADD from the beginning and throughout the process in softball...

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I had a girl on the National Team with terrible arm-bar.

I discovered years ago that 'arm bar' is not a 'problem'. The problem only arises when the hands are behind the back elbow (see below).

hitting-websites-baseballswingmechanics-armbar.jpg

Dec 11, 2010
“Recruit .400 hitters and don’t tell them how to swing.” -Warren Buffett, the Oracle Of Omaha.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Well hitting isn't all at risk. Someday there will be two huge asteroids approaching Earth. One will be on a trajectory that is exactly parallel to the earth's trajectory, moving like a bullet at its target. The other will be chopping down at the speeding earth, trying to intersect at an angle, meeting the earth at an exact angle in a micro-second window of opportunity to propel the earth into the desired opposite orbit around the sun. I think I would put my money on the first asteroid destroying us, or destroying the softball rather than that meteor chopping down at us. Hitting and pitching are physics, not a belief system!
...perhaps the entire population of the planet can all start sprinting one same direction and create more spin of the Earth to curve its path out of the way ...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This sounds an awful lot like the new hire criticizing her new employer's business methods

If your kid is getting paid to play softball, you do what the coach wants. If your kid wants to play softball and do what her parents say, she should find a club team--or a 22U team.

How much of this is real and how much of this is helicopter parents wanting to control their adult DD?

A kid goes into a slump...and suddenly it is the coach's fault.

It could also be:

1) "Need to focus more on school than swinging a lump of metal" problems.
2) Boy problems.
3) Girl problems.
4) I'm sick of softball problems.
5) There is more to life than softball.

Are there bad coaches? Of course. For every team that goes 40-10, there is another team that goes 10-40.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This sounds an awful lot like the new hire criticizing her new employer's business methods

If your kid is getting paid to play softball, you do what the coach wants. If your kid wants to play softball and do what her parents say, she should find a club team--or a 22U team.

How much of this is real and how much of this is helicopter parents wanting to control their adult DD?

A kid goes into a slump...and suddenly it is the coach's fault.

It could also be:

1) "Need to focus more on school than swinging a lump of metal" problems.
2) Boy problems.
3) Girl problems.
4) I'm sick of softball problems.
5) There is more to life than softball.

Are there bad coaches? Of course. For every team that goes 40-10, there is another team that goes 10-40.
Mehhhh
Think this is directed at coaches changing players swing.
Its not something done everyehere...so....
Really the question is why?!

Here's a quickie story but this is an 11 year old who went to a tryout. She already has a hitting instructor for a year. who does not teach knob to the ball.
The coach ask the player to try this knob to the ball drill.
the player's said I don't really hit like that. and the coach said I'd like you to still try. So the player did. She looked completely awkward, dorky, totally discombobulated and could not perform well with the knob to the ball thing.
( at a tryout)

At a different hitting station was a college player who was there for the day offering her volunteer coaching. She said to the 11 year old
I can see you dont swing like that ( knob to the ball).
Show me your real swing.
Player did. College player
asked, do you have a
hitting instructor?
She sad yes.
College player said, i swing like you.
The college player asked what is your instructor having you work on right now?
and they proceeded to talk about that. Then college player gave her a suggestion drill that went with her hitting mechanics.

Two totally separate experiences at the same practice/tryout.

in this situation the player tried something new and found it did not work for her and was completely awkward.
so that's fine she learned something from that.
she learned what she doesn't want to do!
She also got to learn through another coaching volunteer on the field that it's okay if she doesn't swing like that and there were things she could work on that could still help her.
Its good to try things I'm all for that. Because sometimes you learn what not to do or what doesn't work best. And find new things that can help.
So you can know what you are doing is best for you the individual.

As for anyone changing someones else's swing....
The only person who can change a swing and make it work.
Is the person who's swinging the bat.

Be open to listening and trying new things.
Be confident in what you find success with, and be consistent with your plan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom