College Camps in the Boston area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I am bringing my daughter and a friend (currently HS freshmen) to MA this summer to start touring colleges. I'd love for them to attend a few camps or clinics while were are there. I found a one day clinic through Boston College which looks great - enough for them to get a taste of the college atmosphere. Does anyone know of some other one day clinics in the area this summer? Particularly some smaller DII or DIII schools. The camp at Tufts looks great, but is August 5-7 which runs into the start of HS practice here.

(BTW my new profile pic here is my dog, Indiana. Sometimes when the teenagers are complaining about everything under the sun the dog ends up being my favorite - just look at that smile; he is THRILLED to be going on a 10 mile hike in the snow in the hopes we spot a moose, unlike a few other members of our party - ha ha!)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Cool - thanks. We'll keep it in mind for 2014, or maybe November of this year. Do you know anyone who went? How was their experience? I didn't see cost on the website which makes me wonder... the August High Honors camp looks extremely interesting, especially since many of the colleges DD would be extaordinarily happy to attend are listed.... Hmmm.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2008
$375 for either of the summer ones, $350 for the November one. The experience is both exhaustive and exhausting. The best clinic to improve one's game with which I am familiar. Players are not put into lines and hit ground balls. They are taught the correct mechanics (and the importance behind them) of throwing, catching, fielding and hitting. Upwards of 20 college coaches are there working with players to TEACH them. This isn't a showcase event, it's a learning experience, although obviously those who stand out are going to stand out. The end of camp each day consists of scrimmages that are coached by the college coaches -- coaches will stand out in the field, make corrections on the fly, and reinforce what had been taught in earlier sessions. In my opinion, it's well worth the investment. As for the High Honors camp, this past summer nearly all the Ivy League schools were represented, as well as other high academic institutions in the Northeast like Georgetown, Patriot League schools, etc.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
That sounds great - thanks for the additional information. The camp sounds very exciting and refreshing - we'll definitely keep it in mind! $375 sounds pretty reasonable for the hours involved - many of the little afternoon type clinics are at least $100 so looking at it hourly, this is a bargain.

Mar 14, 2009
Tufts runs a 3 day camp that starts right after the nationals are over. Coach Milligan has D1, D2 and D3 coaches work the camp along with her players (ranked #4 in D3 in 2012). The camp schedule is such that you can visit many of the Boston area schools as well as the many schools within a 2 hour drive of Medford/Boston (Tufts is in Medford, about a 10 minute drive to Harvard Square and Boston, buses and the T are also easily accessed). It is a great learning camp and with lots of college coaches there a great opportunity to work with and get to know a variety of NE college coaches. The last 3-4 years there have been 10-20 girls from California who come to the camp and take the time to visit all kinds of New England schools. Many come for the week and hit the Boston schools around the 3 day camp, then schools further than 1 hour the other 2 days. And yes, my DD is a Sophomore and a proud member of the Tufts softball team (as well as being a starting player on the 2012 NCAA D3 Champion Tufts Field Hockey team). She decided on Tufts because she can be an engineering major and play 2 sports which are in the mix for a national championship every year. She is also getting a great education at one of the best schools in the country.
Check out: Tufts University Athletics

Good luck in your search, it is a wonderful experience and you get the chance to watch your DD grow right before your eyes. We had a great time from my DD's freshman year in HS on taking part in the recruiting process, I still correspond and keep in touch with several college coaches who were interested in my daughter.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for the DD's to go to a school they really like, several of my DD's softball and FH friends have transferred because they went to schools to play a sport that were not a good fit.

CoachK

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Another great school - thank you! Engineering, wow, it's too bad your DD isn't very smart - ha! A friend's son is currently taking calculus III. Calc 3!?? In HS I thought I could take AP BC Calculus - that experiment was a failure! Tried again in college - nope, still not mathematically inclined.
Field Hockey - my own favorite sport which I played in college. Way back a bazillion years ago I played some summer field hockey with several girls who ended up playing at Tufts. My best friend from high school chose to play tennis at Tufts rather than at Georgetown. My DD will most likely attend the camp summer of 2014, after her sophomore year. The camp dates run into the start of preseason HS softball practice here so DD will have to get permission from her HS coach. (if she has a good summer and fall this year her chances of being granted permission go up :) )
Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish