coachlisle: stop telling hitters to hit the outside pitch deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I wouldn't count on that. Instead, I'd learn to drive the pitches on the outside edge of the plate fair.

lol, my poor kids are beaten to death on it.

Are you saying that hitters intentionally foul off pitches, and that they practice this skill?

I'm saying learn to hit the outside pitch deep in the zone, and that the Bustos tee line is useful. The idea that learning to hit a high pitch, etc. is bad, is a failed concept. More information is always better; that is an absolute. Hard down the line or foul is a likely result.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm saying learn to hit the outside pitch deep in the zone, and that the Bustos tee line is useful. The idea that learning to hit a high pitch, etc. is bad, is a failed concept. More information is always better; that is an absolute. Hard down the line or foul is a likely result.

The notion that a pitch on the outside edge of the plate travels deeper (than a pitch on the inside edge of the plate) is true, but what Bustos shows is a huge exaggeration ... and IMO such nonsense has people wasting a fair amount of time & burning in bad habits. Further, the notion that the "hitting line" continues linearly to the chalk line of the opposite batter's box is silly. If you run the experiment I mentioned, and hit balls over the fence from home plate, you'll find that there is a distance off of the plate where you have to actually go out an get the ball more ... virtually the opposite of letting it travel deeper.

Dec 11, 2010
Coach Lisle, I did not know you were a member here.

I want to apologize for my remarks and I have removed them. They will still appear where other people quoted me but I can't fix that.

It's too easy to forget that there is a real person on the other end of this stuff and I should have thought of that before I posted them.

I also respect that you came onto this forum to defend your view.

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Coach Lisle, I did not know you were a member here.

I want to apologize for my remarks and I have removed them. They will still appear where other people quoted me but I can't fix that.

It's too easy to forget that there is a real person on the other end of this stuff and I should have thought of that before I posted them.

I also respect that you came onto this forum to defend your view.

I appreciate all of that. I really didn't want to come on here to "defend" myself, I just thought that I could have done a better job with my original Facebook post and didn't feel comfortable leaving it at that.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Take a close look at these tees to see the difference. I prefer the second one...

16c2gib.jpg

vnmq6w.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I appreciate all of that. I really didn't want to come on here to "defend" myself, I just thought that I could have done a better job with my original Facebook post and didn't feel comfortable leaving it at that.

I don't know ...... look at all the discussion you are generating. Maybe you should do something like that weekly :).

Dec 11, 2010
Okay- defend was the wrong word. I just keep stepping in it. How about thanks for participating here as a better alternative.

Again, I apologize.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, this might be easier, 3' of carpet runner and a can of spray paint. We use the hitting lines, those are pretty close for my dd's.

I use a similar arrangement. I don't use the tees I posted. Just posted them to show the difference in the angles being used. You will notice the angle on the first tee is much sharper than on the second tee.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00