Coaching Signs.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2012
Ok, you experienced coaches. What signs do you need? And what plays do you call defensively?

I know you need a Bunt, a take, a steal yadda yadda but I am curious as to what other special batting plays you may use and defensive plays that you may put in place. As I have stated before I am a new coach so trying to learn as much as I can to help my girls play the game just a lil better. Also any good links or sites for me to read or go to.?

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Not sure your level but at 12U we have a fake bunt sign too.

Fake the bunt and take the pitch. Goal is to block catchers view and pull defense in long enough to move runner from first to second.
Works every time we use it.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Take, swing away, bunt, steal, delayed steal, fake bunt. Those are the basic signs that I start the season with. I also teach them an indicator. I switch it up. Some games we use an indicator, some not. I stress to the kids to indicate back to me that they got the sign or not. I also have signs that just me and the other coaches use, take a bigger lead, tap and go things like that.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
My team has a lot but we are a 2nd year 14u.

Offensively, we have take, hit away, bunt 3rd base line, bunt 1st base line, fake bunt, fake bunt-slap, slap, drag bunt, straight steal, delayed steal, continous walk

Defensively we have a bunt defense, a play in to make the play at home, play black to avoid extra base hits, plays to attempt to prevent the continous walk, runners on 1st and 3rd trick plays, & trick play for runners on 3rd.

I feel like I missing some. We started easy than kept adding as the girls could handle more plays. We make sure at practice we go over the names of the plays when hitting balls, to see which players know and don't know the plays.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Defensively we call bunt and slap defense.
Offensively, everything that double steal suggests
as well as hit and run/bunt and run. As the girls develop,
they enjoy learning more

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We're a 12-U team and found that using wrist bands helps us keep a healthy inventory of plays and everybody is on the same page. The third base coach (usually) flashes the number of the play, and sometimes it will be the 2nd number shown or even the third. You can change that up mid-stream if the other team somehow figures out your system. Even the first base coach benefits by wearing the wrist band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028