Coaching Rec Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Another common hitting issue is casting, or getting the arms straight at contact (particularly the left arm for a right-handed hitter).

I like to have the batter hit a ball off a tee that is placed a little inside and/or out in front and ask (teach) the hitter to hit the ball up the middle, or even to RF, depending on ball placement. It's hard to do that unless you have an inside-out type of swing (ie, keep hands inside, maintain bent elbows at contact.) Girls who cast frequently hit foul balls to LF (right-handed batter). I would also explain the drill's intent. You don't want to hit an inside pitch to RF, but the goal of this drill is to discourage casting.

Another common problem: Swinging down at the ball, or pulling the bat/knob to the ball, rather than turning the barrel. For that, you can place the tee over the middle of the plate, but between the feet, or perhaps sightly closer to the front foot. To hit the ball up the middle, the hitter must keep hands back and take more of a 'Nike swoosh' bat path in order to perform this drill well. As for explaining the purpose, I tell players that this is not where you ideally want to hit a pitch that's down the middle. But this drill teaches you to get the bat on plane with the pitch in a quicker, more efficient way.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Ditto on the walk through drill.

Here's one I remember DD's instructor doing with her and her teammates when they were younger: hand them the top section of one of those rubber tees. Have them get in their stance, swing at a pretend pitch down the middle and throw the tee piece. They should be releasing so that the tee goes straight ahead and their hands should be palm up/palm down. It seemed to help some of the girls. JMO

Dec 22, 2012
To the OP:

I've spent most of my time in the last three years fighting what you are talking about now. Here's a few things I do to help:

1 - Keep it simple. I give them 3-4 things to do when they set up. Then I give them 3 things when swinging. Step, hips, swing (or some version of this). Keep reiterating the same thing. Keep it simple. For us, once season starts, we get no practice time, so keep it simple.

2 - I start by lining all the girls up in rows and teaching them these things. Get the stance, then go to the step, then the hips, then the swing, one step at a time. Each step, I make adjustments to girls as needed. I repeat a ton to get it in their heads.

3 - educate parents. go slow and spend time teaching them. Put a bat in their hands while you have the girls lined up. Talk them through it and show them what you mean. Tell them why so that they understand it. Again, keep it simple.

Not saying this fixes it. Some girls get it, others don't, some never will. Hang in there. It will come around for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01