Coaching Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
I was coaching a 10u travel team that fell apart due to not enough players,since then my dd has been picked up by another team.The new team she's on is a young team.The problem is the head coach does not have set positions for each girl not does he practice fielding hardly any all he seems to be concerned with is hitting.Since Jan when dd joined this team all practices have been hitting and offense.The team has played two tournaments and has lost all games very badly.THe other parents as well as myself have gotten very frustrated with this.We are all at a loss,no situational drills,no positions are being taught with the exception of pitcher and catcher.Basically the girls have no clue when it comes to fielding.What should we do?

1999coach

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If he isn't teaching fielding, then that is a problem. It is too late this year to find another team, so you are stuck. You should be hitting your DD grounders and popups on your own time. Perhaps do this an hour a day.

You should talk to the coach about it, but I suspect it won't help. If he doesn't, ask if you could stay with the girls AFTER practice and work on fielding. Again, I doubt that he will go along with it.

When you've got a guy like that as the coach, the only thing you can do is to look after your own.

the head coach does not have set positions for each girl

That isn't a problem. The kids are too young. Each child should be learning how to play all the positions.

Dec 8, 2009
I guess the problem I have along with the other parents with not having any set position for the girls is that 75% of the get put in a position haven't played much then they have no clue as to what they should be doing! This would be fine in a practice situation but when tournament time comes I believe they should be some what comfortable playing their position,for their own good and the good orf the team. I have tried making suggestions only to be ignored or I get " I am the head coach I run the team or I run the practice" . As far as working with my own believe me I do,but the other girls on the team have had the mentality beat into them by this coach that he is a coaching gift and is never wrong so I haven't even mentioned working with them after practice.I would just like to the team do well and not get discouraged by this type of coaching. This being a travel team they should show improvment but it appears they have gone backwards in the on the field performance.
1999Coach

Dec 8, 2009
He has acouple of other assistant coaches but won't let them do anything but what he wants them to do,he has a real ego believe me.
1999coach

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is softball. Get used to (1) coaches who are idiots and (2) parents who act like lemmings.

You're evaluation of him is accurate. There is nothing you can do about it. Don't make yourself miserable worrying about this. Just enjoy the year. You picked a bad coach--we all have. Luckily, you did it early in your DD's career rather than when she was 16YOA and trying to get a scholarship.

Next year, find somebody better. In the meantime, grab a lawn chair, a brewski and enjoy the train wreck.

Take it as a matter of faith that for a good coach like CoachJV, Marc, etc., it is isn't a problem for kids to not to have permanent positions. You teach every kid to play every position. A good coach can do it. It is just a matter of organization and work.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2008
Also be sure that you learn from this that before you commit to a team in the future you need to really do your "do dilligence."

1. You must see all of the players before making a decision so you know where DD will fit in, and see what the talent level is like
2. You should see several practices and preferably play a few games before making a decision so that you know what you are getting yourself into
3. You should spend some time with other parents on the team to ensure that your 80 game schedule isn't going to be unbearable due to really bad attitudes
4. You should hopefully get to see the coach and how he handles adversity in a practice or game situation. Can't use the practice field at the last minute, lose a close game on a bad play etc. Everyone can be nice during the honeymoon period, but your daughter is going to learn the most about character by watching behaviors during the difficult times.

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah we pretty much accept that there's not much we can for the rest of this year since just about all teams in our area have a full roster, but most do tryouts around July for the fall season. We went to several practices with this team before we commited and all seemed well,then a couple players were cut and things went south from there.Lesson learned. Any time this guy is met with any kind of criticism he goes off the deep end threatening to cut players, fold the team ect. This guy thinks he's gods gift to softball coaching, a asset to every organization around, if he could on see it form the outside looking in!Sorry for rambling.
1999coach

Dec 12, 2009
CT
If this is a 10U team, is it part of a larger travel ball organization? If so, is there someone who oversees the entire organization? If there is, and all the parents & kids are frustrated, then it might be time to make a case to whoever is in charge. I think it is a very fair concern that the coach is not teaching any defensive skills. I don't think that any legit travel organization wants to have a reputation of not developing and teaching its younger age groups, and having a lot of kids bolt at the end of the season. If it is just one or two parents, then it will probably go nowhere, but if almost all feel that way, then it might be worth a try.

It is a risk, since he might just get peeved, and there might not be any other potential coaches. You have to judge if it is worth it. If not, then just grit your teeth and look forward to tryouts in August.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would much rather pull my DD off the team than have her continue, as you have described. I have seen too many girls get hurt because they weren'y being taught to play their position or any position.

Also, I would become concerned that my daughter might get hurt, on a miscue by a teammate that doesn't know what she is doing.

I would send her to a college camp and let her enjoy the summer, while we worked on individual skills.

Also, you might want to consider the money that you are putting in this and for what?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck