coaching certifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
I've been coaching local rec ball for many years and was wondering, is there coaching certifications? Correction, I know ASA have certifications for coaches but are they the only ones? If i want to persue certification, where should I go or look to? ASA?

Jul 26, 2010
The ASA ACE is the only softball specific one that I know, but the American Coaching Academy has a very good program for coaching youth sports in general along with a certification program. I recommend it if you coach multiple sports or are interested in coaching for a public school of some sort.

-W

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The National Fastpitch Coaches Association has the best softball certification program, the National Fastpitch Coaches College, but it's something you have to be pretty serious about. Each class costs $225 for non-members and $200 for members.

The program was based along the lines of the licenses for soccer coaches. It's a masters-level college program focused entirely on softball. Each class focuses on a specific aspect of the game. You can really learn a lot, but it usually involves travel too since the classes conducted all over the country.

If you're willing to make the commitment it's awesome.

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the NFCA, thanks Ken. My next question is, are they worth pursuing? Do any of the coaches here have them?

Like I said earlier I've been coaching many years, rec. ball, I'd like to move up to Travel Ball or more. Was wondering if certication would help. Also thought about just becoming a pitching coach, especially since we really need pitching here at my local rec. org. Found that I've been doing a lot of things right with our pitchers and found some things that were wrong, which thanks to this site, I stopped immediately. I really love the game and the kids are great. I'm want to do more for them. What do you all think?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am a two-star Master Coach with the NFCA, and halfway to my third star. Hope to complete that this year. I've also done the ASA program, which you pretty much have to if you're going to play in major ASA tournaments. It's kind of light, but not a bad place to start. The NSC will give you more, even though there's no certification involved.

In my view, any knowledge you can gain gives your players an advantage. Parents like to see certifications. Heck, there's a facility near me that says its instructors are "certified" in this, that and the other. I think it's just certified by them, and much of what I see out of their instructors is not, um, ideal. But they're certified. :)

Jul 26, 2010
Before you get any softball certification, make sure you're CPR certified, and it can't hurt to take a few courses in basic first aid. Once you have that and your basic ACE (ASA) certification, the NFCA is great and is mostly made up of college, some HS, and serious travel ball coaches. It's very expensive though and geared more towards "full time" coaches who plan on investing years coaching, as in beyond the careers of their own daughters.

-W

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks Ken, guess I'll start with the ASA cert. then.

Starsnuffer, excellent point about CPR cert. My wife is with me when I coach and she's an EMT, but your right, I myself should get CPR certified. I already have been a long time coach, approx. 15 years, all rec ball. I have 3 DDs all went through softball, youngest one still there. I do plan on staying around as long as I'm able. I love the game, played since I was 15, but it wasn't all fastpitch, mostly modified pitch, however mainly coached girls fastpitch. Quickly learned, from here, stuff I taught wrong on pitching and it stopped right away. I'm still learning and wish to continue to learn. I do however wish to move up or develop a tournament/travel team. Possiblly maybe do HS, but one step at a time. I also ump partime. Crazy about softball, like most here :>) Glad, i found this site.

Thank you all for your input.