Coaching a team with a lot of talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I hear this all the time on the board but have never been in any area that allows this, you should have to be in HS to play on the HS team period.

My other question is do you have a JV team? Even if the varsity squad is a great team and awesome program this is not college I don't need 25 girls playing varsity softball, there is almost no way around half of them being cheerleaders.

Is this a program you built and one you are taking over? Now if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it this is what I would do:

You said 14 of the 25 girls can play. Sounds like you have 9 girls that belong on JV. If there was one or two seniors in the group that have been in the program and can at least function out on the field I would let them be on varsity versus kicking them off the team but let them know without question their playing time has to be earned and as of today it does not look like they will start and their playing time will be limited.

As for your middle school kid, I guess if it is the norm for your area fine but I would be sorely tempted to begin a new tradition 9-12 grade = HS. If you really want to integrate her into the program tell her she can be the star of the JV team and you know she is better than everyone else and she should lead by example and that is what you expect (if you hear great things she might play up a couple games and you might bring her up for playoffs). I would do the same with some girls that are on the bubble if your #3 pitcher needs time she should be on JV and play up as you need her. We have about 25- 30 girls in our HS program and had three girls that played JV but played at least 4 or 5 games up and were on the playoff roster.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I guess things are different with our rules in Alabama. I think four girls off of DD's travel team plus several others we play against have played varsity games so far this year as 7th graders. our rules allow girls in middle school can play for the high school they feed into. Normally when we have had a MS team the HS pulls a couple of girls up after the MS season to let them get some experience.

Sep 29, 2014
I guess things are different with our rules in Alabama. I think four girls off of DD's travel team plus several others we play against have played varsity games so far this year as 7th graders. our rules allow girls in middle school can play for the high school they feed into. Normally when we have had a MS team the HS pulls a couple of girls up after the MS season to let them get some experience.

I only have experience with Texas and Connecticut it's basically like college you only get 4 years of eligibility, you don't graduate and need an extra year you can't play sports (although there is a waiver process but would have to be extraordinary circumstances)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck