Coaches, would this be appropriate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think they are stuck in a money situation, if they throw you off without a really good reason I would be looking for some of my money back if not all of it. If you quit, no money back.

Good luck with tryout and new Team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I think they are stuck in a money situation, if they throw you off without a really good reason I would be looking for some of my money back if not all of it. If you quit, no money back.

Good luck with tryout and new Team.

It's all good. Fortunately, we were paying by the tournament, so the only money we are out is what we spent to buy two jerseys.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Didn't you say this catcher likes her current team and has no plans of moving on? She is probably just taking the free innings and loving it.

I'm not sure why this coach thinks Spring/Summer is the time to plan his team for next Fall.

Yeah, well, the team mom told us yesterday in our final communication that the guest player has already communicated her intention to join in the fall. The only reason she hasn't joined officially is because she's already paid for spring/summer with her current team. So, this was the plan all along. Ugh.

May 1, 2017
Georgia
Yeah, well, the team mom told us yesterday in our final communication that the guest player has already communicated her intention to join in the fall. The only reason she hasn't joined officially is because she's already paid for spring/summer with her current team. So, this was the plan all along. Ugh.

I would be sooooo peeved! DD just joined a new TB team and if I found out that the coach had pulled something like that on a former player, I'd be looking elsewhere for sure. Good luck to your DD at her tryout!

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN

That's just crazy to me. So what is this team doing this spring/summer? Here's hoping that the other C doesn't get hurt between now and then, or he won't have one until the fall. (sorry if I'm missing something here).

I agree with your thoughts, this is BS, but perhaps finding something sooner will turn out for the best. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2015
This sounds so much like the situation we left last year. NO REGRETS. The team we left, they ended up changing organizations, the org eventually took the team away from the coach and gave it to another coach, and all but 3 girls ended up scattering to other teams. You're probably better off getting out now.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not sure I'm following the story, so correct me if I'm wrong.

If a coach inherits an 8-player team, then I would expect that coach to fill out the roster with the best 3-4 players that the coach can find, even if it bumps some players to another position. I don't think it's realistic for a coach to have an 8-player team and be limited to adding only players who play positions that the original 8 haven't claimed. Most coaches in this situation would probably be adding this stud catcher to the roster. It's almost like this team is in extended tryouts, and as such, you can't really make promises about each player's role long-term.

I'm not defending the coach, per se, but just clarifying what is happening.

Certainly sounds like the coach has not communicated his/her vision for team or provided fair warning, so I don't dispute the charge of exploitation. I feel for your DD and hope that a couple of bad experiences in travel ball don't dampen her spirit. She'll find the right team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
That's just crazy to me. So what is this team doing this spring/summer? Here's hoping that the other C doesn't get hurt between now and then, or he won't have one until the fall. (sorry if I'm missing something here).

I agree with your thoughts, this is BS, but perhaps finding something sooner will turn out for the best. Good luck.

The team is playing only sporadically. We played one tournament in early April, then nothing until this weekend. They kept sending out schedules and then would change them (usually from a better tournament to a lower-level tournament). I really think he was scheduling around this guest player (and others). When their teams were playing, we couldn't play because we didn't have enough players.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Not sure I'm following the story, so correct me if I'm wrong.

If a coach inherits an 8-player team, then I would expect that coach to fill out the roster with the best 3-4 players that the coach can find, even if it bumps some players to another position. I don't think it's realistic for a coach to have an 8-player team and be limited to adding only players who play positions that the original 8 haven't claimed. Most coaches in this situation would probably be adding this stud catcher to the roster. It's almost like this team is in extended tryouts, and as such, you can't really make promises about each player's role long-term.

I'm not defending the coach, per se, but just clarifying what is happening.

Certainly sounds like the coach has not communicated his/her vision for team or provided fair warning, so I don't dispute the charge of exploitation. I feel for your DD and hope that a couple of bad experiences in travel ball don't dampen her spirit. She'll find the right team.

Yes, that's the thing. We had NO and I mean NO communication from this coach. I think I probably had one 2-minute conversation with him over the course of 4 months if that. Clearly, he knew his vision, but that was not communicated to us. If he had said, "This spring roster is temporary as I try to recruit my old players and some of you may get cut after that," we probably would have thought twice about signing on, but at least that would have been honest. Lying by omission is not honest behavior IMHO.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Sorry your DD had to be put through this, but at least you know, and can move on. And at least he was honest that he was being an rear. The thing I think is the worst part is that your core group of 8 asked him to come aboard. He shouldn't be throwing away parts of a team that he was asked to coach. If he was not happy with the original 8 he should have declined to coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01