Coaches, would this be appropriate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
OK, we got our answer and I'm so pissed right now that I'm shaking. DD had a rotator cuff injury back in December. She did two months of twice-weekly PT and is 90% (I'd say) recovered now. With this "team," they've had a grand total of about four practices (for various reasons; weather, people's conflicts), and NONE since FEBRUARY. So, the only time Coach has seen her throw since then was at that tournament (for two whole innings!).

We got this response:

"Honestly it will be similar to the last tournament. I can't justify putting her behind the plate with a hurt arm. When I was asked to coach this team I said I would be reaching out to former players that I knew weren't happy and try and get them to play. [Guest player] is not the only catcher we picked up for this weekend as I'm continuing to look for players for the fall. In my opinion catcher is a place where this team needs help among other positions. I'm sorry that y'all are unhappy but I have to find the pieces for this team so that there will be a team in the fall. If your asking me do I see her catching for this team in the fall I do not."

You know, it would have been nice to have some communication about all of this. NOTHING. Nada. And other heads are apparently on the chopping block. We were just placeholders for him for the spring while he courts old players. I don't like being used and jerked around. And judging her based on an injury that has healed (not that he's had a chance to evaluate that at all). We are done with this "team." Guess we'll just pick up until tryouts roll around in August. Glad we asked the question!

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
From the way you describe, it appears to me the TB coach is all about winning, not developing players. It is what it is. I'm also surmising that the parents whose DDs are playing are OK with this, yes? So, if Coach is focused on winning and you're focused on development, I don't see a future here for your DD with this team as a catcher. Be upfront and ask Coach honestly if he/she is scheduling around this catcher. If so, move on. Life is too short for unneeded aggravation.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
OK, we got our answer and I'm so pissed right now that I'm shaking. DD had a rotator cuff injury back in December. She did two months of twice-weekly PT and is 90% (I'd say) recovered now. With this "team," they've had a grand total of about four practices (for various reasons; weather, people's conflicts), and NONE since FEBRUARY. So, the only time Coach has seen her throw since then was at that tournament (for two whole innings!).

We got this response:

"Honestly it will be similar to the last tournament. I can't justify putting her behind the plate with a hurt arm. When I was asked to coach this team I said I would be reaching out to former players that I knew weren't happy and try and get them to play. [Guest player] is not the only catcher we picked up for this weekend as I'm continuing to look for players for the fall. In my opinion catcher is a place where this team needs help among other positions. I'm sorry that y'all are unhappy but I have to find the pieces for this team so that there will be a team in the fall. If your asking me do I see her catching for this team in the fall I do not."

You know, it would have been nice to have some communication about all of this. NOTHING. Nada. And other heads are apparently on the chopping block. We were just placeholders for him for the spring while he courts old players. I don't like being used and jerked around. And judging her based on an injury that has healed (not that he's had a chance to evaluate that at all). We are done with this "team." Guess we'll just pick up until tryouts roll around in August. Glad we asked the question!

Well...you have your answer. It may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it sounds like he was honest with you about his plans and opinion about your DD. IMO, the best thing you can do is find a new place where she can prove her value.

Sep 29, 2014
I think the answer was kind of obvious when you said you have 8 players but the coach picked up FOUR.

If you have 8 committed players 2 pitchers, 2 catcher and 4 fielders then you need to pick up 2 or 3 fielders NOT 4 one if which is a catcher.

This is a coach looking to go GET the best team together that he can not BUILD the best team. As sad as it is best option is to just start looking elsewhere.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

We got this response:

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I will give him credit for being honest about it. Many coaches would have tried to say whatever they had to so they wouldn't have to deal with a confrontation. You know the truth now well ahead of time and think of it as a blessing in disguise. From your posts in the past it seems your DD is a competitor and this may be that little motivation to prove him wrong that ignites her. My DD had the same thing happen to her in the fall of her first year of 10U. We moved on and from day one we owned the team she left. We beat them every time we saw them for almost two years including at nationals. DD was very motivated to prove them wrong and that chip has stayed with her. Earlier this season she faced the same coach and his HS squad and went 3-3 with a walk off to beat them. You could tell she was fired up facing him and its been 4 years since everything went down.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
DD is the same age so I am sure I know the coach. We have probably played against him many times in the past and the way the team is operating sounds like several of them.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Time to go.... I wouldn't even waste my time this weekend unless she wants to hit and sit.

Yes hitting is playing but college and MLB players are paid to hit and sit. I ain't paying for my DD to sit at this age period! PT is for development to get to the next level and if you are not playing, youre not developing IMO.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Not go off on a tangent, and this is not directed solely at the OP, but I'm so tired of people who think batting isn't playing. It's incredibly disrespectful to the many, many college and pro players who are primarily DPs. Batting IS playing - the way you know is that there are many girls on scholarship who are DPs.

This is rampant on our school ball team because we have some rec girls whose parents cannot understand that their little darling might not bat every game or play an inning in the infield every game. We have parents who actually believe that their daughter who is the DP or Flex haven't actually played. We've trained an entire generation of kids and parents that you have to hit every inning and be playing infield for it to matter.

Sorry. Rant over. As a parent, I would be frustrated as well about bringing in prospective players to fill out a roster who play positions that are already filled considering the season has already started.

School ball and TB are different. One you are paying for and one you are just playing for. See above for rest of my thoughts on it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How did the coach define DD's role before the season?

Did he indicate that he planned to keep players at their preferred positions and add in the missing pieces (2 IF, 1 OF, 1 P)? Or was that assumed? Did he view the team as 8 players, with their positions to be determined based on what he is successful in adding to the mix?

Coach is to be credited for his candor in the email, but questions remain about his candor from the start. Was he keeping his true motivations secret until someone asked? If 8 players are under the impression that they're part of a long-term plan when he's willing to cut some loose in August, then that should be made known.

I hate to say this part, but I doubt that a fuller evaluation of DD would change his mind. Sounds like the other original catcher also is not what he's looking for, and you indicated yours was on par with that one.
Doesn't mean yours isn't talented, but sounds like he is looking for something even higher.

In short, coaches need to communicate and let people know the plan. If parents and players are confused when the dust settles from a tournament, then there is a failure to communicate. Parents share some of that responsibility to ask questions, but it starts at the top.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles