Coaches say the darndest things....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"She has thrown a bunch. I mean my God, she has really done a miraculous job to get us here and I told you I was going to ride her as much as I can. But when she can't feel the ball it's time. I'm going to always put her health in front of the competition." Mike Candrea, concerning Kenzie Fowler.

He puts the health of the players first...except when he were trying to get into the championship game, in which case he has no problem throwing her for two games in a row on two consecutive days in 100+ degree heat.

Honestly, don't you think it is time for this insanity about pitchers to end? Is some kid going to have to die of heat stroke before the NCAA limits the overuse of these young ladies?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I felt so bad for Kenzie when she broke down in that final game. It was clear that she felt the weight of the game on her shoulders.
But what really surprises me is that Candrea does not have a really strong #2 pitcher. Akamine is mediocre at best and her attitude in the circle is horrible. I hate watching her pitch.
UCLA has several strong pitchers and they all helped the team win this year at some point in the season.
It would seem that U of A could afford to pick up a couple of aces to help the team, not just one.

Oct 19, 2009
"She has thrown a bunch. I mean my God, she has really done a miraculous job to get us here and I told you I was going to ride her as much as I can. But when she can't feel the ball it's time. I'm going to always put her health in front of the competition." Mike Candrea, concerning Kenzie Fowler.

He puts the health of the players first...except when he were trying to get into the championship game, in which case he has no problem throwing her for two games in a row on two consecutive days in 100+ degree heat.

Honestly, don't you think it is time for this insanity about pitchers to end? Is some kid going to have to die of heat stroke before the NCAA limits the overuse of these young ladies?

I totally agree, we need to put the welfare of these young ladies first. If the coaches don’t have enough sense to do it then there needs to be rules limiting pitches and innings for a pitcher in a given time period.

If we are to error then error on the side of caution.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The pitcher that was supposed to be here was Amanda Williams. She didn't work out at UofA, so with girls being snapped up by the time they are sophomores, I don't think that there were a lot of D1 athletes with the grades, to choose from.

Shelby _____, from Denver is supposed to come in 2012.

UofA was fortunate to have Akamine come in as a 3rd baseman, the paper has indicated that she had no intent of ever pitching. She did an excellent job, even with serious injuries.

There is a personal relationship between Candrea and the Fowlers that goes back to before Kenzie was born. I don't know if her folks were involved in the decision to keep pitching her or not, but I do know that she is scheduled to pitch this summer.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Don't you think they should have known better than to pick up just one pitcher, that Amanda Williams? I know about Candrea and the Fowler family. If they are going to get a Shelby from Denver in 2012, what are they going to do next year since Akamine was a senior this year? Are they going to ride on Fowler the entire season? With all of her health issues, that isn't a safe gamble.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My mistake, Shelby Babcock comes, next August. Thanks, Amanda. shelby babcock - Google Search

Candrea also has his pitcher from the 2011 class. That is what I was thinking.

And then, unfortunately, the pitcher that was supposed to come to U of A from the 2012 class, died a few months ago. But, I believe there is another pitcher still coming from that class.

Maybe someone can help explain about the number of scholarships available. It sort of explains why some universities don't carry a lot of extra people. (Is there 12.5 scholarships total for softball?)

I believe that all verbals are listed somewhere, but I just don't know the California girls.

Edit - I just found this article. http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/tag/shelby-babcock/

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Wasn't the pitcher (other than Shelby Babcock) the girl that committed suicide? I remember reading about that several months ago. It really, really made me upset.

I don't understand the scholarship number thing either.

Mar 13, 2010
They're college pitchers. Not little girls. If its too much for them, they need to speak up and say so.

All the Australian championships are played in January, the middle of summer here. They play 2-3 games a day. They do have more pitchers, but its very, very hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand