Coaches getting hurt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's not the catching of a pitcher practicing that is the problem (you'll need shin guards before a mask), it's the foul tips from a batter. A lot of coaches, especially in rec ball where catchers or catcher gear may be limited, will stand in for the catcher, maybe even for a little bit while the catcher is getting their gear on. Foul tips are unpredictable, and no amount of catlike reflexes is going to save someone from a broken nose or disconnected optic nerve. Like softballphreak said, coaches are role models and it's irresponsible to not take safety seriously.

-W
Yes I totally agree with catching a batter with gear. I should have been more clear that I meant catching a pitcher only. I'm pretty brave, but I ain't stupid. :)

Oct 19, 2009
Lol yea I guess I didnt think about that but im sure thats included in their protective wear too we just cant see.

If you sit back on the bucket a cup isn't necessary.

Got one dad who catches his daughter sitting sideways though. His wife found a spoof picture on the internet of a bucket with built in protector. Still waiting to actually see one out there!

Oct 10, 2011
My wife stopped helping after getting hurt too much. Mostly big bruises, but my daughter had a bad throw and broke 2 of her mother's toes a few months ago. I'm all for the protective gear, especially as they get older.

Oct 19, 2009
Years ago I was pitching to 6 olds no protection with my glove full of softballs, a 6 YO a $5.00 bat and I took one on the shin. I could tell it was bad when it hit, a huge bruise that became infected, a week in the hospital, staff infection from the hospital and almost lost my leg.

At 59 and my 17 YO’s skill level I need all the protection I can get. Anyone know where ya can get a good suit of armor?

Until I locate one I wear shin guards, mask, and pitch BP from behind a screen. A few times I have not been fast enough getting behind the screen and got hailed by a line drive. I HATE GETTING OLD. :mad:

Jan 15, 2009
I would strongly suggest getting a protective mask and/or better yet get catchers to warm up your pitchers. Got caught at 14U with a team where two catchers went down with injuries and we were down to one. I as a coach ended up warming up pitchers most of the season including a girl who has now signed to pitch at the University of Minnesota. I took a few bad bruises but got lucky. The same girl over the next year broke her mother's arm (former college athlete) with a pitch and dad wore masks religiously after a few scares. The next year we had five kids who could catch on the team and no coach warmed up a catcher. At a High school level, and for sure in college, it should be a bench players responsibility to take the warm up between innings if the starting catcher isn't ready. On a travel team it's harder to do that with shorter benches, but it can still be done.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some not so nice stories here, sounds like everyone survived though. Hope things go OK for you Mad Hornet, I am sure they will.

We are not getting older the players are getting better.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I now try to be very aware of my surroundings also. Funny story. Last summer, we were preparing for a big tourny. I moved the screen up to about 25' when pitching BP. Screen worked great on the balls hit back at me. Should have noticed the batting cage pole positioned right outside the net though. I pitched it, she hit it, off the pole, right square in the most sensative of areas. I went to one knee. Took a few minutes to get back up. That could have been an embarrassing trip to the ER. I now look all around when I am pitching. On a side note, I am getting older and my DD is getting too fast. I am strongly considering a facemask. When she throws a pitch that moves, I sometimes barely get a piece of it before it would knock out my teeth. Time for a facemask.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If you sit back on the bucket a cup isn't necessary.

!

This works, if and only if you never reach down and to the side a bit to backhand a low one. I now wear full gear to catch my dd when she practices in our barn. But at one time I only wore steel toe shoes. The floor is concrete and short hops skip real low and after getting hit on the toe a couple of times I started to wear the steel toes. One day she loses one about 3 feet to my right and it hits just behind my on the edge of a beam, the ball shot back right past my nose. So from then on I wore a helmet. So there I am sitting back on my bucket feeling protected with the mask and the steel toes. she is learning a drop curve at this time and she throws one that drops, but doesn't curve. I stretch to catch the ball and it goes under my glove, skips into the steel toe and shoots straight up where I have moved forward and hits me right where my cup should have been. So there I was lying on the floor, trying hard to not swear or cry, my back is to my dd. So I roll over and see that she is inching her way to the door, trying to decide if 1. should I run and get mom and 2. can I laugh at this. So I croaked. I'm ok, just give me a minute and yes you can laugh. I got back on the bucket, took a couple of more pitches and decided I was done for the day.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
It's not the catching of a pitcher practicing that is the problem (you'll need shin guards before a mask), it's the foul tips from a batter. A lot of coaches, especially in rec ball where catchers or catcher gear may be limited, will stand in for the catcher, maybe even for a little bit while the catcher is getting their gear on. Foul tips are unpredictable, and no amount of catlike reflexes is going to save someone from a broken nose or disconnected optic nerve. Like softballphreak said, coaches are role models and it's irresponsible to not take safety seriously.

-W

This. Agree 100% Insanity to catch with hitters and no mask. Can't believe he hasn't taken on in the face yet.

As for pitching you can get away with it at very young ages but even then be aware of certain hitters.

I had another team's coach step in one day and throw BP at me from short distance. He was a former collegiate catcher, huge guy, starts throwing heat at me. Then he starts barking at me about my hitting and the next pitch I shattered his face. It wasn't pretty, his face was wired up for many months and he drank out of a straw.

I was 12. Hitters of a few years more and it's probably possible to kill somebody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi