Coaches getting hurt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Did not want to highjack another thread so copied this here.

a coach who isn't too insecure to wear a facemask to catch

I have mentioned this to DD’s Manager a few time and it fallen on deaf ears. Some of the Players are getting to the skill level that some of the coaches are going to get hurt because they do not protect themselves or pay close enough attention to what is going on.

We do not use a screen but I am on high alert when a few of the batters are up to bat and always more or less back 40’. Manager does the stand 30’ from the plate soft toss things and some of the balls zip by his head before his glove starts moving. Keeps doing it. In a longer spring season I am afraid my DD is going to kill him or one of the other parent helpers.

He is also one of those idiots that plays C without a mask against live hitters, never have understood this at any level.

On my list to give it another shot this year but I am pretty sure it will fall on deaf ears again.

Oct 19, 2009
OMG I use a screen religiously with both 10 and 12u and I know it has saved my life many times.

Now I don't use a facemask to catch our pitchers unless there is a batter in the mix.

I did learn the hard way to move home plate closer to my bucket during workouts with my daughters. Last January a knuckleball thrown by my 9 YO hit home plate and bounced funny busting my jaw. It was split open bleeding. Over time with shaving, it turned into infected ingrown hairs. Went to the doc, got the infection cured but now a year later I am having a procedure to remove the cyst it caused!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
When he's looking up at you flat on his back and wondering what happened, just say "You OK Forrest?"

Oct 25, 2009
Inform him that catching behind a batter without a mask is not only dangerous, it is irresponsible. He is a role model, the kids may try to imitate him.

I have had numerous injuries and most of the time when trying to stay behind a screen. The only really serious (expensive) injury I've had was getting hit in the eye/nose with a batted tennis ball. Approx. 20 feet from a batter and no safety equipment. Not smart! $7,000 hospital bill.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
Our coach does not use a net but wears a mask and shin guards just to pitch after getting hit too many times. A net gets in the way of 2nd and ss making some plays I think thats why we dont use a net.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I haven't gotten old enough yet that I can't depend on my reflexes, so no catcher's mask yet. BUT, when my DD was 12-14 and learning some breaking pitches I learned fast the value of a cup on a bad hop. :)

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
I haven't gotten old enough yet that I can't depend on my reflexes, so no catcher's mask yet. BUT, when my DD was 12-14 and learning some breaking pitches I learned fast the value of a cup on a bad hop. :)

Lol yea I guess I didnt think about that but im sure thats included in their protective wear too we just cant see.

Jul 26, 2010

It's not the catching of a pitcher practicing that is the problem (you'll need shin guards before a mask), it's the foul tips from a batter. A lot of coaches, especially in rec ball where catchers or catcher gear may be limited, will stand in for the catcher, maybe even for a little bit while the catcher is getting their gear on. Foul tips are unpredictable, and no amount of catlike reflexes is going to save someone from a broken nose or disconnected optic nerve. Like softballphreak said, coaches are role models and it's irresponsible to not take safety seriously.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi