Coach Teaching HE.... Frustrated Dad and DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
Youngest DD's HC is pushing HE. We spent the off season switching DD to IR but she now has switched back to HE pitching again because this is what her HC is teaching. I don't have a great relationship with the HC so I talked to an assistant. I told him we are on a different pitching program and didn't want DD to be confused with different instruction. He assured me that they'd give her space to practice her way and wouldn't push HE on her. I thought all was good.

Last practice as I was leaving I saw the HC bring out the pitchers telling them to really focus on the snap bringing their arm right up "Hello Elbow". :eek:

I coach my older DD's team and don't have an option to bring my youngest DD to another city's team. I've sent the assistant coach (who is a friend) many a dfp article about IR but I think he is a little fearful of the HC.

Im trying to stay calm and try another tactic. My next move is to talk to the HC but this has not gone well in the past and was hoping to get some good brainstorming from dfp before I do so.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Send him a video of Jenny Finch pitching with IR and preaching HE, and point out the hypocrisy....

Jun 12, 2015
I was a small part of an HE debate on a local board not too long ago and I've had talks with PCs around here who teach HE. None of them have seemed to even be willing to consider they might be wrong. I even asked one person who claimed HE was "healthier" for young kids to please provide any evidence he had on that, seeing as how I'm always open to learning. I had to ask twice but he finally responded he had no evidence other than "what I've seen over the years." This is the level of reason I've seen coming from the HE camp so far. So...good luck with all that.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last practice as I was leaving I saw the HC bring out the pitchers telling them to really focus on the snap bringing their arm right up "Hello Elbow". :eek:

If a player has a private coach I leave them alone. That doesn't mean they do not need to hear my crap when I am talking to all the pitchers. I am not going to say all the pitchers come over here but Sally. In a group setting they need to learn to ignore me if I contradict what thier PC says.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I had a conversation with a HE coach and he also said that HE was healthier and bragged about how he consulted with local ortho docs (very scary) about how HE was a natural movement. He went on to say that girls that bend their elbow while pitching are just slinging the ball and that they wear themselves out after 3 to 4 years. Its a rare occasion that I am lost for words....the only thing that I could do and say was "thats an interesting perspective" and walk away.

On a somewhat different note, it is very common practice around my area that young pitchers are taught HE and somewhere during an off season before they move up to 12U they are "converted" to a "more mature motion".

My dd was given some very bad instruction at first and we are still paying for it. We finally found a good coach. And little by little she is turning into a "pitcher".

I guess now that I think about it, it isn't a good idea to find a pitch coach nor a ortho doc in my area....

to the OP....just keep working hard at what you know is right for your dd and teach her to smile and nod and keep doing what you are trying to teach her. Me and my dd have a sign when she knows she is being told something wrong....she pulls on her face mask. Thats when I know that she knows better.

I was a small part of an HE debate on a local board not too long ago and I've had talks with PCs around here who teach HE. None of them have seemed to even be willing to consider they might be wrong. I even asked one person who claimed HE was "healthier" for young kids to please provide any evidence he had on that, seeing as how I'm always open to learning. I had to ask twice but he finally responded he had no evidence other than "what I've seen over the years." This is the level of reason I've seen coming from the HE camp so far. So...good luck with all that.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
In my experience a coach that teaches HE clearly can't see what a pitcher is actually doing so tell her to just smile, nod and then throw the way she wants. Talking to an HE coach about pitching the right way is like explaining calculus to your refrigerator.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Have her completely ignore this ding-a-ling HE zealot. It's been my experience that in most cases you'd have more success trying to get a cow pie to respond to you. Of course, going out and talking to cow pies might land you in a mental hospital.

The vast majority of HE disciples are not at all curious folks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA