Coach Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
2 strike bunt is part of my offense that I have executed
with bases loaded. The squeeze bunt puts a great deal of pressure on the
defense if executed properly (pushed up the 1B or 3B).
I love to see opposing coaches squirm with bases loaded bunting.

As far as pitching? If she is accurate, hit the corners

Jul 21, 2009
Just want to clarify... I don't "hate" the coach. I don't even "dislike" her. I just don't agree with all of her decisions. I know that's "situation normal", but just wanted to vent.

Screwball... I'm glad your catchers are quick. Ours (obviously) aren't. If they were, I wouldn't be griping about it. :)

Oct 18, 2009
Indiana
There are a lot of A ball teams that don't allow the "group cheers", because they can often be derogatory, sound somewhat silly, and shift focus from the game to the cheering. The bigger reason for this is that the A ball clubs are trying to woo recruiters and college coaches.

However, middle school ball is rec ball, and even if the coach is an A ball travel coach, I think concessions should be made to allow the cheering, as the girls are in it for the fun of it at that level, that's just my opinion though.

-W

So college teams don't cheer? I must need to adjust my TV then when I am watching because I could have sworn I heard some team from Tennessee or Georgia cheering ;). I agree there are some cheers that are derogatory and should not be done, but one thing that drives me nuts is watching a tennis match or golf tournament break out at a softball game.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Middle school ball. 2nd year head coach. Has made some questionable decisions...

Bases loaded, 1 out. Coach gives batter bunt sign... 1st pitch... foul. bunt sign again... 2nd pitch... foul. Bunt sign again(?) 3rd pitch... foul... batter out.

No "team" cheers are allowed.

DD pitching last night against a good hitting team. 3-2 count on the batter. Coach to DD: "throw it down the middle". So DD throws it down the middle... triple. I told DD next time ANY coach tells her to throw it down the middle, nod, and hit her corners. If the coach questions her simply say "it didn't go where I wanted it".

If the catcher is on base at the end of our offense side of the inning, no one warms up the pitcher while the catcher is getting their gear on.

No, I'm not looking for advice, just wanted to vent a little.

Coaches do things all the time that might seem strange or wrong to the casual observer (i.e. parent in the stands) but as a general rule you have to trust that the coach knows the team chemisty and knows what they are doing (for the most part). No one spends more time with the team than the head coach so he/she should know the tendencies of the players. The HC also may be trying something out in the beginning of the season to see if it might work (i.e. bunting with two strikes and bases loaded). There is even an archived article on the girls-softball.com website that expains the authors rationale for trying a bunt with two strikes.

Cheers - I love my players cheering as long as its positive and not negatively directed at the other team. Its part of the game and keeps the players on the bench involved in the game and its fun.

Pitch Calling - Your DD should be a smart enough player by middle school not to be throwing the ball right down the middle of the plate. Ultimately, SHE gave up the triple, not the coach. The batter could have easily struckout or hit into an out. As others have suggested, I think this is a learning experience for your DD and she won't make the same mistake twice.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
So college teams don't cheer? I must need to adjust my TV then when I am watching because I could have sworn I heard some team from Tennessee or Georgia cheering ;). I agree there are some cheers that are derogatory and should not be done, but one thing that drives me nuts is watching a tennis match or golf tournament break out at a softball game.

No, the college teams cheer. Even the US national team team cheers. But remember, 18G coaches have a lot of pressure after charging thousands, dragging the kids across the country, all in hopes of that scholarship. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just echoing what I've noticed. Some 18G teams do have group cheers. Many say "cheer, don't chant".

-W

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Bunting with bases loaded is a great strategy, especially if it's a skilled bunter. Realize that you've taken the catcher out of the equation for fielding the bunt, and it's likely the middle infielders are playing in for the play at home, it can create a lot of confusion if done right, and honestly, it's better then a mediocre player hitting into a double play.

-W

I agree. My daughter is a very good bunter. Several times last year she came to bat with bases laoded and the girl on 3rd( same girl all 3 times) is fast, very fast. Worked like a charm...4th time was a disaster though.lol

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
As far as the bunt... I just don't get it (with bases loaded). Unless you can get the bunt down just right, a heads up fielding team is going to get the lead runner.

Unless this is my DD's team. Then the 3rd baseman will field the ball and overthrow 1st, while my DD (the catcher) is SCREAMING --HOME!HOME!HOME! And then shooting me a death glare after the play when 2 runners got in on a stupid bunt.

Jul 21, 2009
Just since the thread got bumped up...

Watching the championship game of a tournament Saturday night. Bases loaded, batter puts down a bunt right between P & C. BOTH explode to the ball. P gets there first. By that point, the runner on 3rd is 2/3 of the way home. P gets ready to throw home, but C is standing right next to her.

By the time she figures that out and turns to throw to 1st, BR is already on the bag.

It took me a second before I realized what I had seen. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619