Coach Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
Middle school ball. 2nd year head coach. Has made some questionable decisions...

Bases loaded, 1 out. Coach gives batter bunt sign... 1st pitch... foul. bunt sign again... 2nd pitch... foul. Bunt sign again(?) 3rd pitch... foul... batter out.

No "team" cheers are allowed.

DD pitching last night against a good hitting team. 3-2 count on the batter. Coach to DD: "throw it down the middle". So DD throws it down the middle... triple. I told DD next time ANY coach tells her to throw it down the middle, nod, and hit her corners. If the coach questions her simply say "it didn't go where I wanted it".

If the catcher is on base at the end of our offense side of the inning, no one warms up the pitcher while the catcher is getting their gear on.

No, I'm not looking for advice, just wanted to vent a little.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I understand your problem on the pitching. Your DD should smile and nod and then try to hit the corners.

As to the bunt, I can't be quite so supportive. I question bunting with the bases loaded. But, as far as bunting with two strikes--softball ain't baseball. I've bunted with two strikes before.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I know you are nmot looking for advice but to me it is interesting to bunt with bases loaded ( haven't seen that before)... I have seen bunting with two strikes before ( if it works you look like a genius..if it doesn't then you look like you don't have a clue)...instead of having your DD nod and hit the corners, why don't you have her talk with the coach?

Mar 13, 2010
I know you are nmot looking for advice but to me it is interesting to bunt with bases loaded ( haven't seen that before)...

It works very, very well. The first ball.

If the batter misses it then stop. It's expected then. It can only be used once per game. Possibly twice. Any more and it becomes ineffective.

I watched a coach do it. Everyone safe. Next ball he called it again. The defence didn't expect it again. Everyone safe. Next pitch the corners went two steps down, waiting for it to come. Slap. Two runs in. It was aboustly brilliant to watch from the sideline. The coach admitted after the game he had put the third bunt on, but the batter slapped it instead. He's not normally a coach who likes players changing his calls, but even he admitted that was pure brilliance.

Jul 21, 2009
instead of having your DD nod and hit the corners, why don't you have her talk with the coach?
I'm hoping this is a one time thing. I just couldn't believe it when DD told me this in the car.

As far as the bunt... I just don't get it (with bases loaded). Unless you can get the bunt down just right, a heads up fielding team is going to get the lead runner. When she bunted w/two strikes I was really confused. And Ray, you're right, this isn't baseball. Baseball doesn't have the "foul bunt on 3rd strike = out", right?

Mar 13, 2010
Baseball doesn't have the "foul bunt on 3rd strike = out", right?

I just goggled it and it appears they do have that rule (1894)

As coachtucc said, if it works on 2 strikes, you look like a genuis.

The error was putting it on after she'd fouled twice attempting to bunt. It clearly wasn't working for her.

Jul 26, 2010
Bunting with bases loaded is a great strategy, especially if it's a skilled bunter. Realize that you've taken the catcher out of the equation for fielding the bunt, and it's likely the middle infielders are playing in for the play at home, it can create a lot of confusion if done right, and honestly, it's better then a mediocre player hitting into a double play.

-W

Jul 26, 2010
There are a lot of A ball teams that don't allow the "group cheers", because they can often be derogatory, sound somewhat silly, and shift focus from the game to the cheering. The bigger reason for this is that the A ball clubs are trying to woo recruiters and college coaches.

However, middle school ball is rec ball, and even if the coach is an A ball travel coach, I think concessions should be made to allow the cheering, as the girls are in it for the fun of it at that level, that's just my opinion though.

As for warming up the pitcher, I'm surprised daddy didn't run in with his own glove to warm her up!

-W

Jul 21, 2009
Some of the cheers are not sportsmanlike, so I can see a ban on them. Many coaches feel they can't coach from the bench with the noise. (I don't ban them.)
IMO, if the girls do an "unsportsmanlike" cheer than let them know THAT cheer is unacceptable. I agree some are inappropriate, but I feel the cheers help keep the bench "into" the game. We've had two games since she instituted her ban, and our girls just seemed lethargic and not into the game. The other teams however seemed full of energy. I know the cheers aren't totally responsible for that, but just something I noticed.

You can hate me too because I want the catcher to get her gear on quick and get out there. Not rely on me to bail her out. I do often put a runner in however. I want them to be in sync, not me with the pitcher.
Ah, but it doesn't need to be (and I agree shouldn't be) the HC. Use an assistant coach. Use a bench player. I just don't think it's right that the pitcher is just standing in the circle waiting for the catcher to get geared up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes