Circle not Mound

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It is a carry over from all the years of baseball. My family still calls it the 'hill'. "Who's gonna be on the hill this game"? ( example )

Hard to break old habits.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I still refer to it as "the hill" like GOINGDEEP. Always have and probably always will. It's the habit thing. The girls look at me like I have two heads when I say "Jane" is on the hill to start! The rules refer the "pitching plate" so I guess there are two plates? Oh yeah, it's not home plate (or dish for that matter), it's home "base". Another old habit.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Some people get wound up about calling the pitcher's plate "the rubber" or the pitcher's circle "the mound", but I can live with it. I suppose if I'm addressing a group of umpires, or explaining a specific rule, I'm more apt to use the proper rule book terms. In casual coversation, I might be more inclined to use the common, layman's terms as long as the person I'm talking to knows what I'm talking about.

If you really want to get somebody riled up, ask an umpire about his "clicker", instead of his ball and strile indicator! And yet, not too many umpires will bat an eye if you call home plate "the dish" or refer to the bases as "bags".

And since we have someone from the Great White North onboard...

What is up with the Canadian custom of referring to the catcher as "the back catcher"? :confused:

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Some people get wound up about calling the pitcher's plate "the rubber" or the pitcher's circle "the mound", but I can live with it. I suppose if I'm addressing a group of umpires, or explaining a specific rule, I'm more apt to use the proper rule book terms. In casual coversation, I might be more inclined to use the common, layman's terms as long as the person I'm talking to knows what I'm talking about.

If you really want to get somebody riled up, ask an umpire about his "clicker", instead of his ball and strile indicator! And yet, not too many umpires will bat an eye if you call home plate "the dish" or refer to the bases as "bags".

And since we have someone from the Great White North onboard...

What is up with the Canadian custom of referring to the catcher as "the back catcher"? :confused:

I am not sure why we refer to the catcher as the" back catcher". I haven't used that term in quite some time (at least that I remember) but I do recall it being used when I was younger. We Canucks like to be good communicators, so maybe it was a mattter of being "very specific" about where the catcher is to be positioned?:) Never heard of a "front catcher" though, eh?

Just went on to Answers.com...."The Full term is Back Catcher, though it is usually shortened to Catcher
Both are correct". So I guess it is the Americans shortening up the terminology while the Canucks continue with the traditional?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors