Choosing tournaments that are appropriate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
As I write this it is early January, and all over North America travel ball coaches are starting to look at tournament listings to decide where they'll be playing in the spring and summer. There are lots of considerations to take into account, not the least of which is budget in this economy.

Of course, one of the major decisions that has to be made is what level to play. If you're a top-level team that's easy. You go into the best tournaments and try for a bid to whatever National tournament floats your boat. For others, though, it's not so simple. Those are the folks who need to carefully consider more than a "desire to be and play the best," and really think about what will best suit their players.

Let's face it. Every coach wants to think he/she is coaching an A level team, or at least a team that's on the verge of being A level. But there's a reason most sanctioning organizations offer a B level, too. There is no shame in playing a B level schedule if that's the team you have, and you may find it's better for your team's long-term satisfaction.

There's an old saw that says "to be the best you have to play the best." That's true to some extent. Yes, there are definitely things you can learn by playing teams that are better than yours. But there's also a law of diminishing returns to that. If you are consistently playing tournaments where you team is getting run ruled in the minimum amount of time, and being driven out in the minimum number of games, about all you're players will learn is they're not very good. It's tough to learn much about playing the game when you're only playing three innings at a time. You would be better served to maybe stretch in one tournament, then go into the rest where the level of competition will allow you to get more innings and games in.

Some coaches worry about getting their kids college exposure. They want to play in the big tournaments so their kids have an opportunity to play in college. I don't claim to be an expert in this area, but from everyone I've spoken to it doesn't work that way.

Your chances of being "discovered" out of the blue at a college exposure are about the same as actresses being discovered hanging around the corner drugstore in Hollywood. Yes, it has happened. Yes, it still happens every now and then. But if you want to increase your chances of being a successful actress you need to take classes, get an agent, and audition like crazy.

The same goes for softball players. Their best best for playing college ball is to contact coaches directly, send a DVD, participate in their camps, and otherwise be proactive. (I know some recruiting experts read this blog, so please feel free to add more advice and your contact info in the comments section.) If your players aren't doing that, you don't need to worry about appearing in exposure tournaments.

Then there's the player/parent perspective. Some coaches will feel they need to play in A level tournaments to please the parents, or show them their kids are in a top-flight program. But the parents are there and watching the games, and they can see what's going on. Truth is, if you ask them whether they'd rather go to high-level tournaments and see their kids get the stuffing kicked out of them or lower-level tournaments where the team stands a chance of winning some hardware, most would opt for the latter. The ones who don't probably won't be coming back next year anyway, as they will seek a team that can be more competitive when it plays. And the rest will get discouraged and leave too since it isn't much fun to get a butt kicking weekend after weekend.

So far, I've mostly talked about playing B instead of A. But there's the other side of the coin too. If your team is consistently in the top two in every tournament it plays, you're probably not seeking out good enough competition. Winning a tournament should be an accomplishment, not business as usual. If you're always clearly the best team in every tournament, it's time to seek out a level of competition that will stretch your players' ability and help them grow. Just as no one learns much by getting run ruled all the time, no one learns much by run ruling the competition all the time either.

When it comes to choosing tournaments, use the diamond theory -- you can't make a diamond out of lump of coal without pressure, but if you add too much pressure too soon your lump of coal will turn to dust. Seek out the competitive level that will challenge your team without overwhelming it and your players will gain all the benefits you're hoping to give them.

More...

Jan 15, 2009
Part of the problem is that you have to decide early what path you want to take to Nationals. Our team has tenatively decided to pursue 16U ASA A in College Station Texas, but we don't really know what we have or whether we will be competitive at that tournament. I'm reasonably sure we will get a berth there, I feel we're in the mix the top 5 or 6 teams in our state at that age level (finished 2nd in the Fall only lost to one team over 2 months). BUT where does that stack us up with the better teams in other states (especially in the West). To really find that out would require travelling pretty far a field for a few more weekends and incurring $1000's of dollars of per player travel expenses, that's not in our budget. The best we can do is play in the most competitive reasonably local tournaments and hope that we're competitive when we get to Nationals.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Good post Ken.

What I have found happening at the 10U level in our state/area is quite frustrating. When sanctioning organizations divide age groups into A and B at 10U (and somewhat 12U) there is a huge problem of teams that should play A are playing B just for trophies.

It is harder each year to find tournaments that A 10U teams can play in and not have to spend somewhere overnight every weekend. In our area alone there are only 18 10U A Tournaments compared to 30 B Tournaments. At two different state tournaments last year, the A division had only about five teams compared to B that easily had over 20 teams.

While it seems justified at 14U on up to divide up in A and B division, at the younger age groups many teams do not know how to correctly classify themselves even though there are guidelines for classifications from sanctioning organizations.

The only way to correct the situation is to do away with A and B at 10U for travel tournaments and then have a purely Rec category.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Believe me, I understand the concerns about not knowing what you have until you start playing. I've done that plenty of times. In those cases you have to take your chances and hope you did it right.

I'm talking more about if you know what you have already, particularly if you are aware of what, say, a 14U player should be capable of and whether your 14U players can do it. If you have a weak team, don't let your ego get in the way and insist you have to play a tournaments so it will make you better. It won't. Play B tournaments where you can be competitive and work your way up from there.

To me, if you earn your way to Nationals and then get beaten by flat-out better teams that's something else -- particularly true Nationals as opposed to the ones that bill themselves as such but are really just regional tournaments. Those are good and fun too, and plenty competitive, but there is a difference. If you jump in the shark tank you may get bit, but at that point you really are testing yourselves to see where you are, not playing a full schedule that way.

Pride, I know where you're coming from too. There are always teams that play below their appropriate level so they can win trophies and talk about how great they are. Anytime they run into a legitimately good team they get theirs, although they probably blame the umpires, the other team's fans, the facility, etc. In my opinion, and that's all it is, you should play at a level that challenges your players without overwhelming them. Just like with Goldilocks, you don't want a schedule that's too hard or too soft. You want one that's just right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA