Chewing out player in front of team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2009
Ok... just a different thought. Is it possible the pitcher did in fact "lose" the game? We have all seen pitchers turn emotionally on a dime. But, the coach in fact "lost" the game because he didn't take her out of the game at the appropriate time or didn't train a decent #2 to come in and shut down the rally. He could have turned this entire conversation around. Tell the team, I am sorry, I lost this game because Sally obviously was not on her best game (Because of XYZ) and I didn't take her out at the right time. He could have made his point without throwing her under the bus.

Bill

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I think we have all seen where your up by 1 run bottom of the 7th, runners on 2nd & 3rd, 2 outs. a routine groundball to F6 who overthrows 1B, both runs score game over. Did the E-6 lose the game? Yes. Do you as a coach tell her that? Heck no, she knows it, the team knows it, the parents know it, there isn't a reason to blast her more. When she is 40 with 12 kids will she remember that game? Probably not. If she is 40 with 12 kids and the coach humilated her will she remember? Probably yes. For what? A local tournament that nobody outside of the area even knows about, and nobody really cares. Encouragement goes a lot farther than blaming the loss on 1 kid (even though that may have been the case).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Okay...I've read this post with interest. I agree with all of you that the coach is an imbecile and as a coach, I would never have said this; let alone in front of the whole team. However, after reading the OP, IMO, the loss rests SOLELY on the COACHES shoulders and nowhere else. Was he not there? Didn't he see the pitcher imploding? When this started to happen, why didn't he start to warm up another pitcher to relieve her? Why didn't he pull her as soon as the reliever was ready to go in? He was an idiot in more ways than one.

Last edited:
Not sure how pointing out an individual's failures helps a team. Sure you need to throw a little praise out to individuals after good performances, but we all know that too much of it is not good for team cohesiveness.

Jun 18, 2010
Saturday, DD pitched a 8-0 shutout against a team, our last game of the day. As we were gathering our gear, we could hear the coach chewing out her team from across the field. She continued the verbal assault as we passed them on the way to the parking lot. The next day, Sunday, in bracket play, the same team played on the field right before us and lost. DD was warming up in a designated bullpen area next to the dugout down the first base side. The coach gathers her team on the other side of the bullpen and starts ranting about everything they had done wrong during the game calling out specific players. On Tuesday after the tournament, DW gets an email from the ranting coach asking if DD could guest play the next weekend. When DD found out who was asking her to guest play she said no way she would ever play for that coach.

Coaches should know that when they are talking (or yelling) at their teams before, during or after a game players, parents, spectators, and other passers-by may catch all or part of their actions. These public displays can have positive or negative impacts on how they are perceived by future players and parents.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
We played a team this past weekend whose coach screamed at, degraded, and belittled his team throughout the entire scrimmage even though they whooped us 14-0. At one point, his shortstop missed a very hard hit grounder away from her glove side and he called time to go out and tell at her then chest bump her into a deeper fielding position. His language, while yelling at his players the while time was peppered liberally with swear words. To make this guy even more of a tool, he called for the intentional hit of our starting pitcher because, god forbid, she shut them down two innings in a route. She is a righty who bats left. Thankfully, she heard him telling the pitcher to ”snap one at her”, so she knew to turn away from it. Had she not, her pitching season could have been over.

What I don't understand about these dinkbag coaches is, why in the world parents will pay to have their kids play for a jerk like that.

Feb 3, 2011
What I don't understand about these dinkbag coaches is, why in the world parents will pay to have their kids play for a jerk like that.
Many of these coaches have lofty win-loss records and there are plenty of parents who love the bragging rights that come with that. Some also think it's good for their kids to be part of a winning program, the thought being that the team must be winning only because the coaching is so good.

A coach that wins - regardless of his or her methods and personality - will never have much trouble getting parents to sign kids up for their teams.

Aug 8, 2010
We played a team this past weekend whose coach screamed at, degraded, and belittled his team throughout the entire scrimmage even though they whooped us 14-0. At one point, his shortstop missed a very hard hit grounder away from her glove side and he called time to go out and tell at her then chest bump her into a deeper fielding position. His language, while yelling at his players the while time was peppered liberally with swear words. To make this guy even more of a tool, he called for the intentional hit of our starting pitcher because, god forbid, she shut them down two innings in a route. She is a righty who bats left. Thankfully, she heard him telling the pitcher to ”snap one at her”, so she knew to turn away from it. Had she not, her pitching season could have been over.

Lord have mercy. If I would have heard him say that and then witnessed an intentional plunking of one of my girls, DD or any other, there is noooo telling what I would have done. Papa Bear probably would have been kicked out of the park or arrested. I would like to think I would have a private word with him after the game but I just don't know that it would have happened exactly like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi