Chest Protectors Pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2016
Honestly never heard or thought about it until recently.

What is your thoughts? Can't find any posts on this but not to say I missed it.

After watching a Camp in NC State University this weekend, I was impressed with the way alot of the ladies could hit the ball over the fence and onto the soccer field....(and this was the Pitcher squad jacking the ball underhand toss.)

Guaranteed Hot bats from Core and major league swings makes me wondering if DD should have a little more protection in the Circle?

Different styles?

Anything to look for or just keep pitching off the plate? ;-)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD doesn't wear one, but I am told the EvoShield is the one people prefer.

If you or your DD feel the need, go for it.

Jun 6, 2018
Daughter has worn evoshield for 4 years now ever since she saw a girl take a shot right in the chest (heart) and get rushed to the hospital. Luckily revived and lived but it was a scary moment that she wont forget.

Feb 15, 2017
DD has worn an EvoShield for 6 years, pitching or not. Never once complained. Has taken several shots off the legs and snagged many a ball hit waist or higher. Seen a ridiculous number of pitchers get smoked at 10u, not nearly as many at 12u. As a side benefit it sure helped her defensively. She has taken many hard hit balls in the infield off it as well as an occasional one to the chest in the outfield. Given her a “catcher” mentality when it comes to stopping balls I suppose.

2 huge thumbs up to Evo. Wish they still made the one with kidney pads. Before she grew out of that size she took a few on that pad turning out of the way of an inside pitch.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My youngest DD plays LL softball and had a false start playing on first year 10U travel team a couple years back. She is the most athletic of my kids and I was sure I would turn her into a stud pitcher, reversing all the mistakes I made with my oldest DD. That all stopped when she took a rocket comebacker to her belly. Play stopped for a bit and I give her credit for wanting to and somehow finishing the inning. She was never the same after that. Took all we had just to keep her in LL, which she enjoys, and many months before she would even get back on the rubber. Some of her LL coaches coaxed her into it, but she now has given up on pitching seemingly for good. One of the ways that we made her feel more comfortable to play the game was to get one of those Evo Shield chest protectors. She mostly plays middle infield now and it is just part of her uniform.

I think about getting one for my older DD who is still pitching. My greatest fear as her dad--which I mostly suppress--is a line drive back at her head or chest that she doesn't have enough time to react to. She has had a handful of close calls and somehow managed to remain unscathed. Have seen a girl hit in the chest with a line drive at a tourney and it is definitely scary.

Jul 1, 2019
DD has worn a McDavid Hex sternum protector since she started pitching, DS is a pitcher and wears one too. It's a part of their uniform, it's just normal for them now. Honestly, like CoachBubbles mentioned, I can totally agree that it's changed the way they attack a ground ball when in their infield positions if not on the mound. Much more confident staying down and in front of a bullet ground ball too. I've heard no bad reviews about the Evo's either, they were just a little too bulky for DD who was rather dainty when she started pitching, that's why we went with the type she has. My opinion, I don't care which you choose, but anything is better than nothing when all it takes is one time for things to be really bad. 43' isn't very far with balls leaving the bat at 50-60-70+ mph.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
DD has worn a McDavid Hex sternum protector since she started pitching, DS is a pitcher and wears one too. It's a part of their uniform, it's just normal for them now. Honestly, like CoachBubbles mentioned, I can totally agree that it's changed the way they attack a ground ball when in their infield positions if not on the mound. Much more confident staying down and in front of a bullet ground ball too. I've heard no bad reviews about the Evo's either, they were just a little too bulky for DD who was rather dainty when she started pitching, that's why we went with the type she has. My opinion, I don't care which you choose, but anything is better than nothing when all it takes is one time for things to be really bad. 43' isn't very far with balls leaving the bat at 50-60-70+ mph.

Don’t you mean 70-80-90+. I mean after all there is a hitting coach posting all over social media that says he has 10 and 11 year olds with EVs north of 70 already . Seriously - if a facemask has become part of the uniform in most reasonable peoples eyes for a pitcher, why shouldn’t a chest guard? We are concerned about cosmetics so thus the face guard. The chest guard could be a life or death thing.

Sep 19, 2018
My dd wears this -https://unequal.com/shop/hart/

I guess I bought into the Marketing hype. Some of research says that many of the chest protectors don't actually protect against Commotio Cordis but I know at times having the protector has made my dd feel a little bit more relaxed.

May 17, 2012
The chest guard could be a life or death thing.

Historically chest protectors have not provided any actual protection against commotio cordis. If you read the fine print with a lot of the heart guards they actually state they do not provide any real protection.

If it gives you or your player peace of mind, that's great. But understand what it will and won't do.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The best chest protector is the glove on her non throwing hand. Work with your dd’s fielding on a regular basis. Make being ready for the batted ball part of your pitching practice.

Evo shields will help, but that glove is there for a reason, too many pitchers aren’t taught to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid