Check out our progress (new video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2011
So I posted a video a couple weeks ago of my DD swing and got some great feedback. We have been working hard and wanted to post an update. Sorry for the bad lighting. We have been hitting at night when I get home from work so it is a bit dark and grainy but I think you can still see it pretty well.

We really worked on starting with the hands more back and maintaining the triangle to impact. Here is the latest video:

It looks a lot better IMO but I still think there is room for improvement. It seems like she finishes to upright. Maybe some problem with the weight transfer or lower body. I'd also like to see some more extension through impact but would like to hear from others. You guys gave some great feedback last time and hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance for all your tips and help. DD is getting pretty excited about her improved hitting. In the slow mo you can really see the barrel flex through contact and she was amazed that she had the power to make that bat bend like that. LOL

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2011
NC
in my opinion she has no stretch at all, her lower body is not bad, but everything turns together, her hand path is better but still too low for my taste, her front shoulder never gets down, because her back elbow never get up to the sky enough, all just my opinion of what I see.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
in my opinion she has no stretch at all, her lower body is not bad, but everything turns together, her hand path is better but still too low for my taste, her front shoulder never gets down, because her back elbow never get up to the sky enough, all just my opinion of what I see.

Even the hand path is still an issue. She is using an anti-bat-drag type swing ... pretty much what Yeager reviewed in his DVD “Back Elbow Function and Body Segment Rotation in the Elite Hitter plus Analysis”. Hand usage is still incorrect, and hence we see the hands beating the elbow to the RVP Connection Point Position.

Not seeing any forward coiling, but instead an inferior rear leg loading approach. Swing sort of resembles an improper attempt to keep-the-weight-back followed by a step-onto-the-front-leg. One could argue that her earlier swing was better in terms of rear leg usage.

You won't find many pros arriving at contact having a diagonal barrel with "level shoulders" .....

14lt5zs.jpg

The perceived improvement is likely due to the height of the ball at contact.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I agree the hand path is still not good, just slightly better then the original, the rear leg in the fiirst video seems to be better as well, the hands just get out front too fast for me, she almost starts connected with very little stretch, and loses connection quickly.
Even the hand path is still an issue. She is using an anti-bat-drag type swing ... pretty much what Yeager reviewed in his DVD “Back Elbow Function and Body Segment Rotation in the Elite Hitter plus Analysis”. Hand usage is still incorrect, and hence we see the hands beating the elbow to the RVP Connection Point Position.

Not seeing any forward coiling, but instead an inferior rear leg loading approach. Swing sort of resembles an improper attempt to keep-the-weight-back followed by a step-onto-the-front-leg. One could argue that her earlier swing was better in terms of rear leg usage.

You won't find many pros arriving at contact having a diagonal barrel with "level shoulders" .....

14lt5zs.jpg

The perceived improvement, which I don't believe in, is likely due to the height of the ball at contact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree the hand path is still not good, just slightly better then the original, the rear leg in the fiirst video seems to be better as well, the hands just get out front too fast for me, she almost starts connected with very little stretch, and loses connection quickly.

Who knows, maybe she's been instructed to use the Slaught/Carrier lead elbow jab approach ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/14729-need-help-what-i-think-casting-10.html#post198527

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies. What we worked on fixing was the "lazy L" where the back elbow was leading in front of the hands and also the dropping of her hands. We basically worked on "maintaining the triangle" which she seems to be doing well but maybe I am seeing it wrong. Five Frame can you elaborate on "Hand usage is still incorrect, and hence we see the hands beating the elbow to the RVP Connection Point Position." I am not familiar with the RVP connection point position. Also could you give some ideas on how to use the real leg correctly?

Thanks for all the help!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Okay ... working on the "Lazy L" versus "Power Vee" is difficult without understanding what the RVP Connection Point Position is.

Let's give examples of "where" there should be an attempt to have the "Power Vee" in the swing.

Regarding the "Power-Vee" .... ... ... we basically give ourselves a goal of arriving at 'launch' with a "pinched rear forearm-to-bicep" (a "Vee") and maintaining this "Vee" relationship all the way to the "RVP Connection Point Position" (which is the position when the hands pass by the rear shoulder ... and the "hands" + "rear elbow" + "rear shoulder" are all aligned with the "rear hip"). See the "red Vee" highlighted in the clips below. The "Power-Vee" ties in directly with the HPP (Hand Pivot Point).

FP_Swing_Demo_PowerVee.gif

Finch_PowerVee.gif

BondsAtConnection_PowV.jpg

Pujols5_PowV.gif

[... to be continued due to DFP posting limitations]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member