Changing offensive Philosophy any advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Ok, here is what Im running into. At my school i just had 4 seniors graduate they all came in together and they could hit! The best numbers ive seen in my 12 years at this school. Im returning and having coming a few good hitters bu nothing to really do what these girls do. We did alot of hitting and running and were very aggressive with our sticks.

My point is that ive spent alot of time converting a few girls to the left side that really flourished doing so this year, im looking to do "way more attacking" with the short game since the offensive output will be different.

Im trying to find out who you guys would reccomend speaking with or DVD's that could give me multiple ideas I can begin implementing this summer when I work with my team.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
DON'T EVER CHANGE YOUR CORE PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!
Modify, yes. Develop hitting the same way you have in the past,
as girls mature, you will find a couple of unforeseen stars. Brush up
on the short game using your team speed when possible of course.
Modification is always a necessity with new rosters of players and you
always have to work toward your strengths. It sounds to me as though
you were spoiled with the 'meat' of the lineup the last couple years.
Look back on what you did before this experience, go forward. Utilize the
slappers to get on base for those couple of girls who can hit for average and power.
Use your stats of returning players to determine this. If you go with stats over what
you did in the past, all will be fine. For example: I have a player batting .550 thru
10 games. Her OBP is .630. She is not fast and has scored only 2 runs.
I am moving her up to become a more 'automatic run'. She is a contact hitter who has only
1 SO thus far. Moving her from 6 spot to 2 spot is a no-brainer, I am an idiot for not
doing it sooner. My # 2 is batting .275 with a .400 OBP. We have lost in semifinals the last 2
tournaments by a combined 3 runs. I AM A FOOL

Jan 24, 2009
Coach JV,
Your right on both points! :) poor choice of wording on my part "modify" is the best word. Oh yes! I have been spoiled! The reason for the modification is that my program has never been known for speed and this is the first time in years I will have not only those that can slap pretty well but also challegne the defense with there speed.

Thanks for the input! It helped!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06