Changeup - 10U DD Struggling W/Changeups - What is the easiest grip, etc???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD throws a flip change, it is deadly.

Any change up the speed is the key, you can not give the batter time to regroup thier swing.

Like the little red porridge story.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Best 2 pitches in SB is a flat FB and a bad change up.

IMO, you comment can be applied to any change up. I have not noticed a flip change being worse then any other change up but might be wrong.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
My DD does a handshake-type change where her hand is on the side of the ball when released. The ball has a little drop to it when thrown correctly.

Everyone I talk to who does the flip change seems to comment about how hard it is to master and the ball usually sails.

Feb 7, 2013
14yo DD throw a modified version of the flip change whereas she get some side spin on the pitch (over rotated wrist on release) so that it moves down and away from a right-handed batter. It's a nasty pitch and she can throw it as hard as she wants and its always around 38-42 mph (her fastball is mid-50s). At 7yo, she tried the circle change but just couldn't get comfortable with it. A few suggestions:

- to get use to the flip change, have her stand about 10 feet away from an empty bucket with her body at a 45% angle to the bucket, have her practice throwing the ball into the bucket using the flip grip release. As she gets proficient at making it in the bucket, move back 5 feet, etc. until you are at 30 feet. This may take several week of practice but worked well for DD. She had a consistent change up in 6 months.

- as she gets older, and increases her fastball speed, and the ball gets bigger, she might struggle with throwing the change-up consistently. It's always a work in progress and spend as much time with the change-up as her other pitches, and she won't be disappointed in the results. As riseball said, if he had one regret with Jake it would be that they did not spend enough time on her c/u to perfect it.

- I don't like pure backspin change-ups, so encourage her to put some side spin on it otherwise it will frequently float high in the middle of plate and will get crushed often, especially as she moves to 40+ feet.

Dec 13, 2015
Tell your DD to imagine her wrist is in a cast AND stay palm down throughout pitch. She wants her thumb to brush her side. This thoughts helped greatly with my DD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06