Pitching advice for signals/wrist coaches 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I was curious on this subject of pitching signals from coach to catcher. My daughter is 9yrs old and has really moved along in pitching, She has only been doing it since Oct 2019 but she has really taken a liking to it and always challenges herself without me asking its awesome. Her Current max is 42mph, We have been training extra hard on accuracy. I am not in the mindset to jeopardize accuracy for speed. For example once she reaches a new max speed, we work on making sure she can hit her corners and pitchers roughly 90% of the time, once she achieves that we'll work on bumping up the speed, then move back to accuracy drills, repeat.....
But along the way she has perfected her Fastball,2 Changeups and drop ball. I have NO earthly idea on how she perfected the dropball so quick and easy but she has. Pitches she can throw are the following, Fastball, Circle changeup,Cup change up,Dropball,Curveball,Screwball,Hit all her Corners.

Whats the best way to signal to the catcher, or would ya'll just revert to a wrist coach???, I understand in 10U All she'll need is just a good fastball and changeup BUT i would like to get my group of girls 1 step ahead if possible.

Disregarding the wrist coach question, I'd like to hear Bill Hillhouse's take on a 9 yr old with this arsenal of pitches.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Whether anyone believes the OP or not is immaterial. Contrary to popular belief, there are girls out there that have the ability to far exceed normal expectations. Whether they last the test of time, who knows? Some do and move on to the P5 teams, others go for the education and play D2 or D3, some don't and never play and some others even develop at a later age and go play for top names. So maybe some of you should quiet down with your disbelief. Just because a majority of players are only doing so and so doesn't mean that a few aren't exceeding the average expectations being miles ahead. Where the hell do you think a lot of the P5 players come from in the first place?!

That said, to the OP, teach your catcher to call pitches NOW! Teach her HOW, based on batter's stances, teach her WHEN based on game situations, teach her WHAT pitch to call based on the 2 situations above and most importantly, teach her WHY. A great defensive catcher that can receive the ball, present it well to the umpire and can call the right pitch at the right time will make your DD pitcher look like a superstar. A different catcher without those qualities can make her look like a complete dud.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
Here is my take on this thread.

1. Don't let your pitcher or catcher call pitches. No need to. Sure they should understand the game and freely communicate with the coaches and pitchers, but who ultimately calls pitches for Oklahoma, FSU, Florida, Texas, or Oregon? Not the pitchers and catchers.
2. Just get the wrist band. People hate it, but as a coach, there is no better way to do it.
3. As has been said, a huge arsenal of pitches at a young age is probably more of a detriment then a plus. Injury is always a concern and concentrate on 3 or 4 prime pitches max so you aren't watering down your practice time. Even less pitches if you have good speed.

Jul 16, 2019
My daughter is 9 and half. Her max is 45. She can only throw fastball and changeup. I learned that unless she can pitch 50 consistently, she won't be able to dominate the game or impress a travel ball coach. And from 35ft, it might not have the distance for a ball to break. Her current pitching coach really concentrates on spinning. But somehow, the coach did not really teach her a third pitch.

Her team uses a number system for signal: two numbers, first number is the type of the pitch, 1 for fastball and 2 for changeup. second number is the location. I couldn't remember what the number stands for and I am not sure whether I want to remember. If I do, there might be lengthy talk after practice or game because I will know when she misses the location call.

I was curious on this subject of pitching signals from coach to catcher. My daughter is 9yrs old and has really moved along in pitching, She has only been doing it since Oct 2019 but she has really taken a liking to it and always challenges herself without me asking its awesome. Her Current max is 42mph, We have been training extra hard on accuracy. I am not in the mindset to jeopardize accuracy for speed. For example once she reaches a new max speed, we work on making sure she can hit her corners and pitchers roughly 90% of the time, once she achieves that we'll work on bumping up the speed, then move back to accuracy drills, repeat.....
But along the way she has perfected her Fastball,2 Changeups and drop ball. I have NO earthly idea on how she perfected the dropball so quick and easy but she has. Pitches she can throw are the following, Fastball, Circle changeup,Cup change up,Dropball,Curveball,Screwball,Hit all her Corners.

Whats the best way to signal to the catcher, or would ya'll just revert to a wrist coach???, I understand in 10U All she'll need is just a good fastball and changeup BUT i would like to get my group of girls 1 step ahead if possible.

Nov 18, 2015
My daughter is 9 and half. Her max is 45. She can only throw fastball and changeup. I learned that unless she can pitch 50 consistently, she won't be able to dominate the game or impress a travel ball coach.

I truly hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way, but I honestly can’t tell if your statement was meant to be a serious one, or point out the various opinions and answers that DFP’ers offer on even the most basic questions.

In my experience - if you can throw 40 and find the plate, you’ll dominate 10C. 40 with a change, and hit locations, you’d easily be a #1 or #2 on a B or A East Coast / Mid-Atlantic team. 45 mph @ 9 1/2?! At 35’? With 2 pitches and location? She should be dominating 95% of the teams she faces (and probably still beat the other 5%).

If there’s such a thing as a 10U Jr. Olympic team, then MAYBE I could see a coach only be interested in a pitcher in the 99.999 percentile.

Otherwise, I would be [seriously] questioning whomever (or wherever) you’re getting this information from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018

No pitcher has perfected anything. :)

Oct 26, 2019
I truly hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way, but I honestly can’t tell if your statement was meant to be a serious one, or point out the various opinions and answers that DFP’ers offer on even the most basic questions.

In my experience - if you can throw 40 and find the plate, you’ll dominate 10C. 40 with a change, and hit locations, you’d easily be a #1 or #2 on a B or A East Coast / Mid-Atlantic team. 45 mph @ 9 1/2?! At 35’? With 2 pitches and location? She should be dominating 95% of the teams she faces (and probably still beat the other 5%).

If there’s such a thing as a 10U Jr. Olympic team, then MAYBE I could see a coach only be interested in a pitcher in the 99.999 percentile.

Otherwise, I would be [seriously] questioning whomever (or wherever) you’re getting this information from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No joke. A nine-year-old throwing 45 miles an hour is bringing it. That would dominate most 10-year-old teams without any offspeed. My daughter tops out at 40 on a good day with the wind at her back. She does throw strikes and a decent change up and she has success against the better teams just doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi