Change up Speed Difference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2011
My DD went to a her team club camp for the day and after 8 hours of drills and hitting she was throwing 45MPH strikes for her fastball. I thought that sounded about right for that time frame but then they radared her changeup and said it was 22-24MPH.

I just don't think that sounds right how could a 22MPH change even make it to the plate at 40 feet? They have a good gun and all the other girls fastballs where right within their average range and it was used the same way each time.

Any explanation would be greatly appretiated.

Jul 26, 2010
Some girls I've seen have "change ups" that are big arcing rainbows, so I can see 22-24MPH for one of these pitches. The good news is that this really works in 12u, as most batters aren't strong enough to reload on a changeup. The bad news is that it isn't a pitch that scales well as they get older.

A 45mph fastball is good for a 12u player, and a 35mph changeup would be very good to go along with that.

-W

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I agree, the Bugs Bunny Changeup works at the lower age and skill levels but as you advance the hitters will notice the higher arc, hold back, then crush it as it floats into the zone. Keeping the pitch down in the zone will help a little but too much arc is not good.

Feb 9, 2011
Yea she is a natural middle infielder and thats her primary position I hope this whole pitching thing is just a phase and goes away soon.LOL

Mar 21, 2011
What Type of Change Up is Your Daughter Throwing?

An effective change up will look like a fastball as far as the arc of the ball is concerned. That said, it'll have to be thrown faster than 22-24 mph. What type of change up is she throwing. The "Flip" change can easily be thrown faster. It just takes time to master it.

Feb 9, 2011
She throws a hook change same arm speed and finish as the fastball. It doesn't arch bad just drops fast near the plate hits just above the catchers shoes. She tried the c change but couldn't get but about 5mph off of it so they started the new style.

BTW-Same gun changed batteries and her fast ball was 48 and her change was 35 so maybe it was an equipment problem the other day.

1000.00 gun and a guy had a RC racer gun he paid 30 for at a hobby shop and got same reading side by side today go figure.