change up help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
By college, the hitters can see the change up by the pitcher's hand position and the spin (or lack of spin). The fastball is in the 60s to high 60s. The hitters can crush a high or straight change up if they have time to see it and change their swing timing. The umps no longer call the high pitch, never mind a change.

This is dead on. The NCAA changed the strike zone a few years back for softball. The sides are the same, but now the ENTIRE ball must be within the top and bottom of the strike zone shrinking it for rise ball and drop ball pitchers. Because of this the need for an effective change is really important. The best change speed against good hitters is about 80-85% of the normal pitch speed. By the time an aggressive hitter recognizes the speed difference the ball is at the plate before they can reset. Even with that it still has to be on a corner in college. The hitters just too good to throw anything over the middle of the plate.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
Hate to bump an old topic but.....

Thank you to all that was wrote here. My 11u daughter struggles mentally with throwing her change up with the same effort as her fastball. We have tried numerous types, but it always falls back to her thinking "change up = slow" so her mind over thinks whats taking place instead of just throwing. I did a lot of reading here and took a few things and had an hour practice dedicated to the change up. So thank you for the string at her waist comment. Thank you for the water bottle squirting the catcher idea. And thank you for the video of throwing the back of your wrist as hard at the catcher as you can. I combined all 3 off these with the little white lie of this tactic being developed specifically for her by professionals (because she throws so hard and this will allow her to continue to throw as hard as she can) and the results were very positive. I do think we took a step toward jumping the mental hurdle of "change up = slower arm". We both left there smiling and happy.

So, once again this forum has come through for me and Im very greatful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd