Catching stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Coach Weaver, got a question. What to do with non gloved hand when in no-runners-on stance blocking? Might have missed that part on the DVD. My DD feels like she's going to tip over backwards when in that stance and brings her non glove hand up to balance herself. Is she supposed to get her hand behind the glove like in the runners-on-stance? Her non glove hand is thumb in fist behind her back.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Coach Weaver, got a question. What to do with non gloved hand when in no-runners-on stance blocking? Might have missed that part on the DVD. My DD feels like she's going to tip over backwards when in that stance and brings her non glove hand up to balance herself. Is she supposed to get her hand behind the glove like in the runners-on-stance? Her non glove hand is thumb in fist behind her back.

Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what does the throwing hand do when you go to block a ball while in the no-runners on stance?

Jun 21, 2010
Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what does the throwing hand do when you go to block a ball while in the no-runners on stance?

Yes. I was watching some older catchers blocking and they have their throwing hand out to their side and then they drop like in your video with throwing hand coming near the glove--not behind it.

Jul 26, 2010
Coach Weaver,

One thing I noticed from your videos is that you have the catcher set up in the center of the plate for every pitch. We see a lot of catchers set up with their center line over either the inside or outside edge of the plate depending on the pitch, and this has spoiled a lot of our pitchers into being able to throw at the glove rather then the edge of the strike zone.

Can you share your thoughts on this, as well as any advice on swaying pitchers into letting the catcher set up in the middle?

Thanks!

-W

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Coach Weaver,

One thing I noticed from your videos is that you have the catcher set up in the center of the plate for every pitch. We see a lot of catchers set up with their center line over either the inside or outside edge of the plate depending on the pitch, and this has spoiled a lot of our pitchers into being able to throw at the glove rather then the edge of the strike zone.

Can you share your thoughts on this, as well as any advice on swaying pitchers into letting the catcher set up in the middle?

Thanks!

-W

Just want to clarify something you wrote. this has spoiled a lot of our pitchers into being able to throw at the glove rather then the edge of the strike zone. By this are you saying you do not want your catchers throwing at the glove, but rather at the edge of the zone?

Jul 26, 2010
I guess I want clarification on how the catcher sets up for an inside pitch vs. an outside pitch. Does the catcher always just set up in the center of the plate or do they set up different depending on the called location of the pitch. I've only so far watched the receiving and blocking portions of your video (it's a lot to work on) and I didn't recall anything in these sections about it.

Thanks again and we all wish you a speedy recovery.

-W

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I guess I want clarification on how the catcher sets up for an inside pitch vs. an outside pitch. Does the catcher always just set up in the center of the plate or do they set up different depending on the called location of the pitch. I've only so far watched the receiving and blocking portions of your video (it's a lot to work on) and I didn't recall anything in these sections about it.

Thanks again and we all wish you a speedy recovery.
-W

The video does only show the catcher set up down the middle as I wanted to not confuse things and have catchers setting up on the corners too soon. Ultimately I do not want my pitchers throwing at the middle of the plate. I want them on either edge of the plate. I want my catchers to set up with their mid-line either the inside or outside edge of the plate. That way if the pitcher hits their spot the catcher will be catching the pitch between their shoulders, right on their midline....very easy for the ump to call the inside or outside strike.

HOWEVER.....coaches sometimes have young catchers setting up on the corners too soon, before a pitcher is accurate enough to hit that spot. I do not start having catchers move inside or outside until their pitcher can hit the correct half of the plate at least 50% of the time. So a catcher on any given team may have different set up techniques depending on who is in the circle.

Jul 26, 2010
Ah! That makes much more sense. I'm guessing that the sign giving stance remains the same and then the catcher makes a slight shift to whichever side to assume their receiving stance. I appreciate the answer.

-W

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Ah! That makes much more sense. I'm guessing that the sign giving stance remains the same and then the catcher makes a slight shift to whichever side to assume their receiving stance. I appreciate the answer.

-W

You got it. The only foot that moves is the one to the side they are setting up on as they come out of sign giving.

Mar 13, 2010
Coach, just so I'm clear, at the higher levels you have the catchers set up the glove where they want the ball? So if they're calling an inside pitch, they set the glove up on the inside? I've always been taught as a batter to have quick look back to see where the catcher was positioning for that reason, so I could then set up where I needed to be. Doesn't that give away the pitch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi