Catching stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2010
Video of Cincinnati Reds catchers getting their stance and establishing and maintaining balance as they receive pitches that are out of the strike zone: Google search BASEBALLANCE YOUTuBE Channel and find them there.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Coach, just so I'm clear, at the higher levels you have the catchers set up the glove where they want the ball? So if they're calling an inside pitch, they set the glove up on the inside? I've always been taught as a batter to have quick look back to see where the catcher was positioning for that reason, so I could then set up where I needed to be. Doesn't that give away the pitch?

The important thing is when does the catcher move from her sign giving stance in relation to where the pitcher is in her windup. I agree that if that is done too early there may be time for a batter to sneak a peak back at the catcher. However at the younger ages, 12U and under, many batters aren't skilled enough at the plate to use that information to any great advantage. I tell my catchers to wait till the pitcher makes her first move to begin her windup and then move to their set position and present the target.

However, you may find that some pitchers need the target set before they begin their windup to pitch effectively and that must be taken in account. Also at the 18U level I suspect if a batter spends too much time looking back at the catcher she will probably be seeing a lot of high and tight fastballs to encourage her to keep her eyes off the catcher.

Mar 13, 2010
Thak you for the answer.

I was taught at about age 15 in my state to just have a quick flick back with the eyes to see where the catcher was. My state is the only one who teaches this and our catchers don't do it either. It drives me to distraction over here, because it's not something I've ever seen.

Having them do it after the wind-up starts makes me understand more why it's done. Thanks for the answer!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Also at the 18U level I suspect if a batter spends too much time looking back at the catcher she will probably be seeing a lot of high and tight fastballs to encourage her to keep her eyes off the catcher.

CC is on target as usual; however, I'll nitpickingly argue for "ONE" rather than a "LOT" of high and tight FBs after the catcher shows a low and away pitch target! If a catcher is nice and in a good mood, they may suggest that the batter discontinue peeking first. If the catcher isn't so nice, they'll make the same recommendation AFTER the cross up pitch. It's just part of the battle for control of the inside corner.

It is important to teach your catchers to watch the batter's eyes to see if they are trying to steal signs/locations. If you use CC's recommended sign-giving stance, the base coaches have no chance to steal pitch signs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi