Catching for my kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
This is a great post. Makes me laugh reading other stories and cringe at my own memories. I recently put up lights in the backyard so we can throw in the evenings after dark. It is just enough light to be able to catch. Every night I come in, I say I need to add more light. I am pretty sure I know the exact day I will buy more light. The day after I take a ball to the face. Previous posters hit the nail right on the head. As my DD gets older, stronger, and faster I get slower, fatter and a little less sharp with the eyes. That is a recipe for disaster.

Jul 9, 2010
For whatever reason, I can not get out of the way whilst on a bucket. I warm up our team pitchers, and the other coaches will say "don't you want a bucket?"

If I sit on a bucket, I get hit. Crouch like a catcher, and I can either glove it or move. Weird.

I don't wear gear for my DD. She hit me some when she was around 12 and was learning a drop and a curve. Rarely happens now.

I made the mistake just last weekend of telling her how, after all these years, I still actually enjoy going out and catching for her. The mistake I made was I added someting like "remember when you used to hit me with drop balls. it is a lot of fun to see the pitches do what they're supposed to and not be worried about getting killed". She added - "curve balls were killers too".

So, after going through her pitches, she bounced a drop ball about feet in front of me - first time in a year. I was already starting to yell in pain before I realized that, somehow, it missed me. She was scared at first, then we made eye contact with the same bug-eyed look, and the we took a break, laughed, and reminisced for a minute.

I hope she remembers these moments later as fondly as I do.

I agree with the original poster - great post that only a parent that could truly understand.

Dec 12, 2010
Im starter pitcher for a travel team and i have my step dad catch for me and i pitch 47 - 50 mph .I nearly broke his knee while pitching. Now im scared to death to have him catch for me again because i am afraid that i am going to hurt him. What should i do?

Jul 9, 2010
ask him if he's sure he wouldn't like to get some leg guards on before he catches next time. either way, you pitch your best. frankly, it's his fault if he gets hit. and, having been hit, it's his fault is he fails to protect himself from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g