Catching for my kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I've been teasingly asked why I keep catching for my pitching kid. She takes lessons from a top instructor (Bobby Smith) up in the houston area, we drive up 3.5 hours, take an hour lesson then drive home 3.5 hours - she's good, she deserves the best. So why do I catch for her daily, 57 years old, contact lenses that could power the Hubble, shot hearing, a svelte 260 lbs 6.1 grandpa? Because with all the stuff in her life, school, track, volleyball, friends, boy friend, softball, 4H, church, this she does with just me. Some days, she is so busy with everything else, pitching practice is the only place we actually talk. Since she was 7, (16 now) she and I have been doing this and no matter what else is going on, we get to do this together. Bobby recommended that I pad up, and though I waited a little too long, broken toes, bruised lips, shins that look like moon craters, (they bruise, then dent) but its still fun. Note that I do not pretend to coach her pitching, 99% of the dads that do are full of xxxx, and do nothing but screw up their kid. My job is to catch for her, call the pitches, see that they do what they are supposed to, but I do not correct her. I was not a fastpitcher, I have studied the videos so I know the questions that need to be asked , but the rest of it is between her instructor and her. I try to keep this as fun and practical as a daily practice for years and years has to be - who knows where she is going with this, maybe no where, but I have had this time with this really neat kid.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Donnie, I couldn't have said it better. There is a lot that I planned to add to this post, but there is no need. I too catch for DD and feel exactly the same.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
With DD working hard on her drop curve, it may be about time to wear the shin guards. So far, when one comes in on the hop, Dad does the "ole" and moves the legs out of the way. Pretty soon I won't move quickly enough and I will have the bruises that go to dents like Donnie.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
With DD working hard on her drop curve, it may be about time to wear the shin guards. So far, when one comes in on the hop, Dad does the "ole" and moves the legs out of the way. Pretty soon I won't move quickly enough and I will have the bruises that go to dents like Donnie.

3's dad, the drop curve is what has done the damage on this bucket dad.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
As much fun as it is catching for DD, it IS starting to get dangerous. When first learning the rise I got hit in the chest, shoulder and head with a glancing blow. I can now handle the rise. When learing the drop and drop curve I have been fast enough to get my legs out of the way but DD's Pitching Coach rolls his eyes every time I get on the bucket with no shin guards.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When my DD reached the mid 40's I caught a bad hop in the shin, ordered shin guards the next day. When she consistently hit lo 50's
and got her rise ball working, I started wearing a mask. There is no shame in self preservation. I enjoy the time spent at practice also, as a little 1 on 1 time.
We can't put a price on this as they grow up too fast. This is what memories are made of

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I'm about ready to spend the $$ and acquire catchers gear. DD does not yet throw the rise ball, but when the velocity is where it is supposed to be the fastballs rotate, hop and move due to the spin on the ball. I need to pay close attention.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA