catching coach and team coach teaching different styles=confused kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
thank you for the advice everyone. I was worried about talking to the coach because I didn't want to upset anyone, but I approached it in a breezy type of way and it went over well. he told dd to do as she is being taught by catching coach as long as she doesn't take the extra step. Which is what she started to do after he made some suggestions. I had the issue confused I guess lol Thanks again!

Jul 9, 2010
Pivot and throw. The SB field is small, and at older ages, you can not get away with jumping up. Proper hand and glove position, and follow through, is critic too.

Doesn't matter why the footwork is like if you reach to your waist before making the throw.

I can tell you, as a TB coach, I had this same dilemma many times. Catchers don't like the pivot and throw, but it works. You can progress to throwing from your knees from there too.

It's hard to learn, so kids hate it. God forbid the parent has a catching coach like yours or a baseball dad that hates it too. It's hard to learn to stay low to throw too.

You have to learn good mechanics as a catcher - the younger the better. Its hard to unlearn later.

I would ask them both to explain to you what their thinking is behind what they are coaching. How is this going to help your daughter? If they have no answer, that should tell you something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877