catching coach and team coach teaching different styles=confused kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
My dd has been taking lessons from a d1 catcher for about 6 months. her team brought on a new coach that is a pitching and catching instructor for a d2 college. they both have great credentials but with one being obviously younger and less experienced teaching(pvt instructor). however they are instructing her to do different things. for instance in a throw down to 2ND catching coach wants her to jump up and make the throw. the team coach wants her to pivot and take a step and throw. I'm probably explaining that poorly..sorry. Dd tried team coaches way all day but couldn't get it to feel right which resulted in some bad throws. I don't know what to tell her to do in this situation. I'm wondering if she should quit lessons all together since she can't use what is taught? problem is that we have seen the lessons work for her and she was picking them off left and right at 10u. a pitchers mom was telling me that his teachings contradict their private instructor, too.advice please?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Go to the coach (or have your daughter do it) and explain the dilemma and negotiate a solution. There is no decision to make until this conversation takes place, imo. If I were her coach, I would appreciate that she or her parent approached me about this kind of conflict because the more I know about what a player is thinking and feeling, the better I can coach her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with Coogan's Bluff. Does the team coach know that she has been taught different? I think that your DD has been taught correctly, but if I was instructing a 10yo, I would also teach her to step (if I didn't know that she could throw without it.) I would certainly keep up with the private lessons. It sounds like they are beneficial.

As a coach, I always appreciate knowing that a student has a private coach. That way, I can try to hit a happy medium with the girl.

By the way, have the pitcher's mom start a thread, also.:)

Apr 9, 2012
Jump up and make the throw would be incorrect..........it kills the pop time.

Research and make sure they are both teaching proper mechanics before you decide. This forum is a great tool for that.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I agree with that you should talk to team coach. There are a few different ways and I believe if a girls can make one why work better than the other, fine.
My dd, our starting catcher, has experimented with different ways, and has gone back to NECC...(standing on the top of a T with bottom of T pointing toward second, pop up and right and left feet land inline on T to throw) I am assuming that is the "jump up" style you are talking. Our back up catcher just stands up part way, steps and throws. Both are successful.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
go to the coach (or have your daughter do it) and explain the dilemma and negotiate a solution. There is no decision to make until this conversation takes place, imo. If i were her coach, i would appreciate that she or her parent approached me about this kind of conflict because the more i know about what a player is thinking and feeling, the better i can coach her.

ditto........

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just because someone played or coached DI, DII, DIII, Olympic, pro etc. does not guarantee that they understand and are teaching the right thing or are a good instructor. For catching instruction, I consider New England Catching Camp and their $40 2.5-hr DVD "A Coaches Guide to Training Catchers" to be the gold standard and would compare what both instructors are teaching before reaching any conclusions. For more info re NECC, use the search function here at DFP or check out their website.

IMO, its never too early to teach proper mechanics, its much easier to learn the right technique initially than to have to re-learn something later. Understand that at 10U not very many catchers will be able to make the throw to 2B without a bounce (or two) without a "running" start. If you are more interested in your catcher being a standout at 14U and older rather than now at 10U, avoid the temptation to sacrifice proper mechanics for short-term success.

Apr 1, 2010
I also believe in the NECC method, FYI. One thing you might try is to ask your daughter's catching instructor if it's ok to have her coach attend a lesson? Perhaps you can get the two of them to come to a meeting of the minds on how she is going to be instructed.

This always a hard one, my general rule of thumbs are:

- is it working
- is it a style thing or a poor mechanics thing
- is it harmful to good mechanics
- is it harmful physically

the 10 year old catcher thing has been debated on here before. Biggest problem is with proper mechanics most 9 and 10 yr olds simply can't get the ball to second without it bouncing. At this point you have to figure out what your priority is.. proper mechanics and sacrificing outs or putting that little windup and step that lets her get the ball to second and gets you some outs but will have to be untaught later.

there are videos on here from NECC or maybe they are online that show the proper technique

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG