Catcher's Sunglasses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My son wore glasses (now contacts) we had to go and try out the catching helmets with the glasses on to see which ones would come off without the glasses coming off too. You might need to bring her catchers mask and helmet with you when you try out glasses. See which ones fit under the mask and stay put when she takes the mask off.

Mar 13, 2010
My son wore glasses (now contacts) we had to go and try out the catching helmets with the glasses on to see which ones would come off without the glasses coming off too.

Just of intrest chinamigarden, how did your son's batting change when he got contacts? My batting improved 100% once I had contacts. I could see the ball ALL the time!

I caught in high school (state pitcher, everyone else was too scared. No matter how much I protested I was catching) Never occurred to me if I flipped the helmet, my glasses would go. I can still hear the boys team on the side dying of laughter as I'm screaming 'DON'T THROW THE BALL AT ME' Even at 17 was legally blind without correction.

Apr 14, 2010
Try Liberty Sports online. They carry the Maxx 2 SAfety goggles and many others. The Maxx you can also get with a strap only. If you go to your optometrist you can order prescription or non prescription. As an optician I have made up safety glasses and sport goggles for many catchers and strongly recommend the Transition ExtraActive lenses. They will darken to sunglasses by day and clear up for night play. Its a good two in one option. Another to look at is the Oakley StraightJacket, in the matte finish. This sunglass has flat temples which are easily slid under a helmet with the matte finish. The shiny finish creates a kind of 'sticky' issue sliding them in and out.
Also on Liberty Sports you can find sports straps which set flush to the head and defogger which will help prevent the lenses from fogging up in the heat and cold. Its a paste you put on like a wax. Hope this helps

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Just of intrest chinamigarden, how did your son's batting change when he got contacts? My batting improved 100% once I had contacts. I could see the ball ALL the time!

I caught in high school (state pitcher, everyone else was too scared. No matter how much I protested I was catching) Never occurred to me if I flipped the helmet, my glasses would go. I can still hear the boys team on the side dying of laughter as I'm screaming 'DON'T THROW THE BALL AT ME' Even at 17 was legally blind without correction.
I know its been months but I just saw that this was directed to me.
Now that I look back. My son got contacts the year after he stopped playing baseball. So I can't say. My son has superior hand eye coordination. (yeah I know everyone thinks that) but he always did. The absolutly best thing (in my opinion) he ever did to improve his hitting outside of the game itself was juggling. He could juggle from the age of 8 but when he was 12 he joined a club over the winter and learned how to do clubs and pass with a partner, eventually working up to 5 balls at a time. The next year he struck out 3 times over a travel baseball season, and one of those was a bad call:) His defense improved as wel. My dd juggles, but not like him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi