Catcher's Masks.... Please Leave Them On!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City

I know we have discussed this matter in the past, but with a new year and new community members on DiscussFastpitch.com, this bears revisiting....

With a greater emphasis on head trauma in professional sports, we are realizing just how important it is for catchers to keep their masks on. You will recall Molina getting taken out this year on a collision. I have witnessed too many local injuries to catchers with no masks on. Kids have been knocked out, suffered concussions, and suffered injury to the mouth and dental work. Modern masks offer a high degree of protection and visibility. With a little practice, there is no good reason for a catcher to take their mask off with the ball in play. Let me say that again... There is NO GOOD REASON FOR A CATCHER TO TAKE THEIR MASK OFF WITH THE BALL IN PLAY! I even witnessed at this past year's Blu Chip Exposure Camp coaches encouraging participants to keep their mask on!

Please checkout the links below for more information.
Stay safe in 2013. -Chaz @ ACC

Photo Album- Catchers Making the Play With Their Masks On

Kendra's Home Plate Collision

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have instructed DD to leave it on for several years. This year she started going to a Catching coach who played for 10+. He said leave it on, there are to many things that can hurt you by the plate to take it off. Bats, backstops, bad bounces from the OF and big girls wearing helmets that think they own the baseline.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We had Olympic gold medal catcher (and current UIC Head Coach) Michelle Venturella present a clinic on catching to our coaches at Kansas City's NSC coaches clinic yesterday. She had a great presentation and was a riot. All this and a lefty to boot! One part of her presentation that stood out were her video drills on working pop ups. In every drill her catchers kept their masks on. Michelle cited that catchers diving to catch the ball are better protected. One thing that stands out is that her catchers run their drills with their masks on. That is... THEY PRACTICE WITH THEIR MASKS ON! Prepare your catchers by always running their drills in full gear. It makes for a safer practice and better prepares them for game conditions.

IMG_3341 copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24