Catchers Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Three Questions:

Is there a difference between Boys/Men and Girls/Women catchers gear?

Is there some sort of inspection that used gear goes though similar to football helmets? If so how do I tell if equipment meet those requirement?

Jun 26, 2020
Women's gear will be more slim fitting. That's it. My daughters are very tall and have wide shoulders. They wear men's chest and legs

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Helmets are pretty much identical between men's and women's versions. Most legs are, too. There is a growing number of manufacturers who are making different chest protectors in an effort to better fit the difference in body shapes. That said, my 16yo DD is currently using the "baseball" version of the Wilson ProMotion chest protector, and likes it just fine. She has also used the "softball" version (slightly different shape and padding arrangement), and doesn't have a preference.

Nov 18, 2015
The older Wilson Shock FX (sp?), IIRC, were sold in both a softball and baseball model.

As far as I can tell, softball and baseball catchers helmets are subjected to the same test. Although what I found interesting is that the softball tests are done using only an 11" ball, but with impact speeds of 70mph. Not sure where those speeds are being seen with an 11" ball! You would think a more realistic test would be to use a 12" ball, which also has an additional ~1/2 oz of weight. NOCSAE Helmet Testing

No idea what would constitute an inspection regarding used gear.

Jul 14, 2018
The older Wilson Shock FX (sp?), IIRC, were sold in both a softball and baseball model.

DD wore the Shock FX during her catching days. The fastpitch helmet had a great feature where there was a flap on the back pad to allow room for a pony tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2020

As far as I can tell, softball and baseball catchers helmets are subjected to the same test. Although what I found interesting is that the softball tests are done using only an 11" ball, but with impact speeds of 70mph. Not sure where those speeds are being seen with an 11" ball! You would think a more realistic test would be to use a 12" ball, which also has an additional ~1/2 oz of weight. NOCSAE Helmet Testing

You're very welcome. Young boys gear may have a cup flap on the chest protector. If your looking used keep an eye out for it. If she's 10 or younger who cares

Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing a new catchers kit. Can't tell if it is boys or girls the only color they had left was a emerald green and yellow but that happens to be her team colors. Cost was $99 plus $11 shipping add the $10 coupon basically free shipping

ALL-STAR Youth S7 Axis Travel Team Catching Kit - it seems like a good quality set for a new 12U catcher.

Nov 18, 2015
This set? For $99?

That’s a heck of a deal.

Green and gold team colors is the way to go if you want to minimize equipment costs!

And left-handed throwers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles