Catcher Gear Color

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
Is there a written rule that catcher gear has to match team colors? For example, if your team wears white, black, and royal blue then the catcher equipment would need to be one of those colors? My daughter likes the look of Carolina Blue, but thinks she should get royal blue to match the team. Do you get what you want/like or do you match your team?

Jun 1, 2015
I don't believe so, and it wouldn't make any sense for it to unless, somehow, it provided a disadvantage to the offensive team at the time. My girls wear red, white, and black, but my catcher uses green-colored catching gear because she borrows it from the local HS she attends, and their colors are green and yellow. I've never had an official say she couldn't wear it (and as an official myself, I've never cared about the color of the catcher's gear - more that they have what they are required to have and it's in presentable/safe shape to use.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Some organizations / teams have stipulation of what brand of gear the catcher can wear and often that includes specific color.

Which imo prefer fitment comfortability to be more important than brand or color.

White gear seems pretty neutral and should be okay on any team imo
image_33146746857510.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
There is no written rule in any sanctioning body's ruleset. However, some organizations are sponsored by manufacturers such as Rawlings, Demarini, etc. and they are required to purchase and use that company's equipment in order to secure the sponsor's discount and wear/use the name. If your team has no sponsor, you'd need to ask the HC if there's an organizational rule requiring matching gear to team uniforms. If the answer is no, order whatever color she wants.

Oct 4, 2018
Asking a girl to buy new equipment when she joins a new team simply because of color seems wrong (outside of teams with equipment sponsors). However, if she's buying new equipment there should be some consideration.

However, I think Carolina Blue for a team that has another shade of blue in the unis is perfectly fitting. I'd steer away from orange or red, however (assuming those colors aren't in the uni).

I do take my DD's Ripit facemask and sand it down and paint it her new team color. This thing has been black, red, orange and now green. Just finished last night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles