Catcher's Gear Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Good info. Thanks. It looks like we will need to go with the 15.5" baseball legs, if she stays with All-Star. Being that my DD is more long and lean, rather than muscled and developed, the Wilsons may work out okay.

I've mentioned this before...I'm a little surprised that 14.5" is the largest AS goes in the Vela line. My DD is 5'-2" and 11yo, and she's nearly out of them. Are taller girls just using the System 7 baseball legs? I wish Guero_Gordo was still around. His DD is very tall (6'-ish), and last time I saw her, she was wearing white/black (what looked like) Vela legs. Maybe they were custom.

The system 7's are almost identical to the velas other than they seem to have an elongated lower edge padding which is wider and offers more protection for the ankles. DD has the black and red ones. Just as a comparison, mine is 5' 9.5" 190#. She's tall and muscular. She is in the system 7 baseballs. IDK what other girls are doing when they outgrow the Velas but I have no compunction suggesting the system 7's to others. They're a well constructed leg guard that is still going strong after a year and a half of TB and 2 HS seasons.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The Diamond iX3 was my dd's first set as well. This was about 11 years ago when my dd was 8 years old. I remember it was indeed very well made but when I bought it there was not much in the way of technology pertaining to safety and knew I would have to upgrade it before she would grow out of it. The technology was the same as the technology in my catchers gear of the 1970's. The leg guards had hard rubber padding for the knees and 2 wide plastic/nylon straps for the shins. The inside of the helmet was hard rubber without any wicking material or additional, softer padding. The chest protector was the best part of the set. That was 11 years ago so I'm sure the iX3 has been upgraded. I would recommend the iX3 especially for the younger ages. They also used to come in many color combinations.

YoungBuck, the reason Megan Willis endorses Diamond is because they are the company that offered her the most money to endorse their product. I bet if she didn't have an endorsement and she had to buy her own gear, she would probably choose another company.

DD's first set was 5 years ago and they'd changed quite a bit since your DD wore them. All of the padding has been vastly improved. Like I said, I'd easily compare them to any of the top of the line sets out there for longevity, quality, safety and protection. As far as comparability pricing wise, that's a different story. I've found that it is competitively priced compared to other top of the line sets but it's not a big savings as others would have us believe. I paid $220 for the complete set and (ETA: at that time) you could buy just about anything else out there for the same price or close to it.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
This is an issue that we will be checking into. My DD had the same issue with her previous Schutt S3 legs.

What size All-Stars is your DD using? My DD is currently in the 14.5" size, which it the largest in the Vela line, and it's looking like she's going to be out of these in the near future.

My dd had zero issues with the ProMotion legs. It's just a matter of setting the straps correctly. My dd also has muscular legs. The way the ProMotion legs are designed I would imagine the thinner the catcher's leg, the more contoured and secure the fit.

Mar 9, 2015
Came across catcher's parents at a high school softball game tonight and noticed their DD was wearing the Wilson Shock mask. Was thinking about this thread and asked them how DD liked it and overall very pleased with the product...but they did mention that the shocks were not working and thought it might be from dirt or something getting trapped in the mechanism (they indicated all springs are stuck as why they suspected dirt)?

1) Anybody come across this? 2) And if so, how did you fix it? 3) Any other issues with the shocks?

Dec 19, 2012
Came across catcher's parents at a high school softball game tonight and noticed their DD was wearing the Wilson Shock mask. Was thinking about this thread and asked them how DD liked it and overall very pleased with the product...but they did mention that the shocks were not working and thought it might be from dirt or something getting trapped in the mechanism (they indicated all springs are stuck as why they suspected dirt)?
compr
1) Anybody come across this? 2) And if so, how did you fix it? 3) Any other issues with the shocks?

Everyone should occasionally clean their gear and equipment. For the Shock FX 2.0 helmet shocks, compress the boot exposing the spring and blast with canned air, then push in the mask to make sure the shocks are working. When done make sure the shocks are not exposed. Do not spray with lubricant.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
Just picked up a Wilson Shock 2.0 in the wrong color (red), but will be custom painting it soon! I couldn't pass on the $80 price tag for the red one. I will post some pictures when I'm done with it. NICE HELMET!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just picked up a Wilson Shock 2.0 in the wrong color (red), but will be custom painting it soon! I couldn't pass on the $80 price tag for the red one. I will post some pictures when I'm done with it. NICE HELMET!!

Red is the RIGHT color!!...
C0EE7A0C-8887-415B-9889-105649BA16DE.png_zpsvntozmsg.jpeg

;)