Catcher's Gear Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2014
My DD in a similar situation looking to get her some new gear. She has worn different brands over the years, some were team gear but we bought her the Easton Stealth gear. We have seen the Wilson Shock helmet and are considering it, but she wants a light weight helmet and is currently happy wi the weight and feel of the Easton Stealth.

Are there any websites the lists the weights of the different catchers helmets? I can't seem to find anything like this.

This is a big issue with my DD, she is looking for lightweight gear the she can wear all day if needed. I didn't mention this in the original post but she has borrowed Under Armor and Boombah gear, and didn't really have any issues other than the Under Armor felt a little heavier than her Easton gear.

Sep 27, 2015
My 10 year old loves her Easton gear and can comfortably wear it all weekend. Only thing we ever have to do to maintain it is to redo the removeable inserts every few months as she pounds them flat blocking. But it costs about $5 once every 2-3 months to keep her well padded.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric F. I think you have another Database to start!

Just like there isn't one for true bat weights except the one on here that Eric started, I doubt there is one for actual helmet weight.

Hmmm...not so sure about a helmet database. It think helmets are too subjective, with fit and comfort being more critical than just weight.

Mar 1, 2016
My 16u DD has been using Allstar System 7 for 3 years now and loves it! Padding is removable from the helmet and shin guards so you can wash it along with the chest protector. That should help with getting rid of the locker room smell in the back of the car after games/tournaments. Snaps on the helmet back plate are captured behind a molded plastic piece, which keeps them secure when she throws the helmet off. She's 5'1" and using their 14.5" size. She has tried other brands, but some part usually winds up not fitting right. Isn't that always the goal - the magical combination of fit and protection? I would urge you to try all brands if you can find a place where your DD can try some on, because if it doesn't fit right it won't protect like it needs to.

Dec 19, 2012
This is a big issue with my DD, she is looking for lightweight gear the she can wear all day if needed. I didn't mention this in the original post but she has borrowed Under Armor and Boombah gear, and didn't really have any issues other than the Under Armor felt a little heavier than her Easton gear.

The Wilson ProMotion chest protector and leg guards are among the lightest on the market and offer great protection.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Be aware that UA gear is made by All-Star, so if she didn't care for UA, she probably won't like AS.

Recently, my DD moved from an AS Vela chest to the Wilson ProMo. Her immediate input was that the Wilson is more comfortable (moves/flexes with the body better). She is currently using AS Vela legs, but we will be taking a hard look at the Wilson legs when it's time to replace them.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD hated the Wilson Promotions only because they had a tendency to twist on her every side-to-side D&B. They lasted about a month before she asked for new ones. That's when we switched to the Pro 7 All-Stars. OTOH, I now have a barely used pair of wonderfully padded and light shin guards to train my catchers in and demonstrate with.;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD hated the Wilson Promotions only because they had a tendency to twist on her every side-to-side D&B. They lasted about a month before she asked for new ones. That's when we switched to the Pro 7 All-Stars. OTOH, I now have a barely used pair of wonderfully padded and light shin guards to train my catchers in and demonstrate with.;)

This is an issue that we will be checking into. My DD had the same issue with her previous Schutt S3 legs.

What size All-Stars is your DD using? My DD is currently in the 14.5" size, which it the largest in the Vela line, and it's looking like she's going to be out of these in the near future.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
This is an issue that we will be checking into. My DD had the same issue with her previous Schutt S3 legs.

What size All-Stars is your DD using? My DD is currently in the 14.5" size, which it the largest in the Vela line, and it's looking like she's going to be out of these in the near future.

She has the 16.5" size. I can't remember which thread it was previously, but there were several other catchers that had this issue with the Wilson's as well if I remember correctly. IDK if it's because my DD has extremely muscled and well developed i.e. really big calfs or not but the All-Stars just sit where they're supposed to stay on her. The Wilsons not so much. Now, for me, I have no issues with them whatsoever twisting when I D&B side-to-side while demonstrating. Then again, my calfs aren't as big either.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She has the 16.5" size. I can't remember which thread it was previously, but there were several other catchers that had this issue with the Wilson's as well if I remember correctly. IDK if it's because my DD has extremely muscled and well developed i.e. really big calfs or not but the All-Stars just sit where they're supposed to stay on her. The Wilsons not so much. Now, for me, I have no issues with them whatsoever twisting when I D&B side-to-side while demonstrating. Then again, my calfs aren't as big either.

Good info. Thanks. It looks like we will need to go with the 15.5" baseball legs, if she stays with All-Star. Being that my DD is more long and lean, rather than muscled and developed, the Wilsons may work out okay.

I've mentioned this before...I'm a little surprised that 14.5" is the largest AS goes in the Vela line. My DD is 5'-2" and 11yo, and she's nearly out of them. Are taller girls just using the System 7 baseball legs? I wish Guero_Gordo was still around. His DD is very tall (6'-ish), and last time I saw her, she was wearing white/black (what looked like) Vela legs. Maybe they were custom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi