Catcher throwing too hard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Roz

Jul 2, 2011
My daughter is a 12U catcher who is being told by other players and coaches that she is throwing the ball too hard to the other players, including the pitcher. As a coach, I have wanted her to make solid throws back to the pitcher to avoid delayed steals and to try to dissuade other teams from stealing as much if they see a catcher that has a good arm. When she tries to lob the ball back to the pitcher as she has been told, her release point on the throw is not always good and her throwing accuracy to the pitcher decreases. We are working on throwing accuracy when throwing at slower speeds, but I would be interested in some input as to what you think about a 12U catcher being told that she throws the ball too hard.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I never like to hear a kid told to throw slower, however there are situations where a softer throw is called for. One of the problems I have with the hard throw to the pitcher (all the time) is that eventually it leads to problems to the catchers arm. If you are in a tourney and your catcher ends up catching 4 games in 2 days, if she is throwing hard every throw thats about 600 hard throws in 2 days. If that was a baseball pitcher there would be no organization, or sanctioning body that would allow 600 hard over hand throws in 2 days. She needs to learn how to throw with less velocity for when less velocity is OK, its for her own good.

One decision I made early in my dd's career was based on a coach telling her she throws too hard. I had to explain to my dd that hard throws only lead to outs if the other player can catch them, so she geared down for the rest of the year. Then we left that group and never looked back. If your girl throws too hard for her teammates it is time to find a new team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My daughter is a 12U catcher who is being told by other players and coaches that she is throwing the ball too hard to the other players, including the pitcher. As a coach, I have wanted her to make solid throws back to the pitcher to avoid delayed steals and to try to dissuade other teams from stealing as much if they see a catcher that has a good arm. When she tries to lob the ball back to the pitcher as she has been told, her release point on the throw is not always good and her throwing accuracy to the pitcher decreases. We are working on throwing accuracy when throwing at slower speeds, but I would be interested in some input as to what you think about a 12U catcher being told that she throws the ball too hard.

A big part of the catcher's job is to make the pitcher's job easier. As long as she's at a reasonably safe distance, I have no sympathy for the other players complaining about her throwing too hard, whether it be a game or even warming up in practice - thats what the web of the glove is for! In practice it might help to increase the separation distance or normally pair up w/ a team mate who a) throws similarly or b) doesn't complain. Balls back to the pitcher should be thrown crisply and accurately, but not so hard that the pitcher gets worried/concerned/upset/hurt and is distracted from her main task of pitching. As far as other teams go, a good arm exhibited during warmups or on the practice throws to 2B ususally is sufficient to limit the running game and not every throw has to be at max velocity. Keep working on accuracy at 50-75% velocity and also maybe try returning the ball to the mound from a knee(s).

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Could the issue be on the throws that require more touch? I will use my DD as the example. She throws overhand pretty hard. She would throw as hard as she can in every drill, thinking it was the right thing to do. Almost killed a few girls. I had to teach her, that there are more than two speeds of a throw.(fast and lob) Easy ground balls back to the mound were turning into triples, because she would fire the ball from 20 ft away from the firstbaseman. We actually spent some time on touch throws. Kinda like a QB in football. They don't always have to throw the football as hard as they can to get the ball where it needs to go. My DD has gotten much better now that she understands SHE was causing the missed throws and errors.

Roz

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies thus far. I agree that some of the issue does involve my DD needing to improve on throws that require more touch. My main question relates to the idea of telling girls not to throw too hard in practice and teaching lobbing the ball back to the pitcher.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Practice like you play.

I do occasionally run across a girl that throws harder than normal. If she is fielding something near me, I will tell her not to throw it "down my throat."

But, for my pitchers (i.e.) to have to let up and lob a ball to 1st base, no, that shouldn't happen.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I had a catcher that threw hard back to the pitchers (14 & 16U) . It was how she normally threw. It did look hard and some of the parents complained about it. When I asked the pitchers about it, it wasnt even an issue. I think it is how you look at it sometimes. They throw hard in warmups & practice, and catch hard hit balls. They are used to it.

Oct 19, 2009
I tell kids and daughter to think of the person receiving the ball, always throw a catchable ball, situations may dictate that you need to throw a ball a little harder than you would like but, make it a good throw. Never play down to someone’s level always plays up to your level of play.

This happen this year our catcher who is quick as lighting notice runner on second loafing back to second, and daughter is pitching.

This is how daughter told me I was in hayfield and was not at the game.

Daughter said, I just threw a pitch and I’m 25 to 30 feet from catcher who comes up firing I’ve got my glove by my ear where she normally throws the ball back to me and the ball is headed for the glove. I’m think, am I suppose to catch this? At the last minute I lower my glove the ball blows by glove side ear and I think; I hope someone is at second. I hear a thud at second and turn around to see our second baseman tagging out the runner several feet from the bag, as she walks back to the base. That’s the third out catcher walks out to me says, If you had caught that I would have killed you!
:eek:

Jul 26, 2010
This is usually the clear indicator that its time to move her up to either a higher age bracket or a more competitive organization.

-W

Nov 1, 2008
When my DD started practicing with JV and Varsity last year, the one thing that she loved the most was not having to take anything off of a throw in order for the other girls to catch it. She's not striking fear into the hearts of the varsity girls with her arm but she can finally let it loose and not worry about the girl bailing off the bag instead of catching it. Playing SS, sometimes you just gotta sling that thing to get the out. 1B better be ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet